Chapter 31 Visiting Hours

*Mush's POV*

     She wasn't responding. I screamed as the boys came and started fighting the Delancey's and the rest of their friends. I scooted to a corner in the alley away from the fighting and held Ella in my arms. Her left eye was swollen and I was sure she had bruises on her torso, but I wasn't going to lift her shirt. Due to the fact that she probably had a few broken ribs, I didn't hold her in a ball. Her head lay on my left shoulder and her back against my chest with her legs between mine.

     Racetrack ran over to me and said a police officer was coming with people and that he would call Mr. DuPree and have him come. All I could do was nod and look down at Ella. This was because I didn't go with her to talk with the Delanceys. This is partly my fault. I shakily kissed her forehead and said, "E-Ella, Don' give up. Ise love ya an it's gonna be okay. Youse is gonna be okay. Mr. DuPree is comin."

     No response. I got no response out of her but her light shaky breath.

     When I looked up, I heard whistles and saw the police officers on horse back. They jumped off of their horses and ran to the Crib members (Irish mob) and the Delanceys and arrested them. Some escaped but the majority were taken. Mr. and Mrs. DuPree were running towards us.

     "Margaret, it's gonna be okay-" Race started to say as Margaret ran into his arms and sobbed into his shoulder.

     "R-Race, p-please just hold me," Margaret said with a shaky voice. He just nodded and did as she asked.

     "Mush, I am going to need to take her to the hospital-" Mr. DuPree started.

     "Do what ya need ta do. Jus please fix her. I-Ise can' loose her," I said shakily as I tried my hardest to be strong.

     With that he took Ella in their own ambulance so they could get to the hospital faster. Mrs. DuPree knelt beside me and held me motherly as I sobbed into her shoulder. Margaret was sobbing into Race's shoulder as he held her with one arm and rubbed her back with the other. The boys were all trying to catch their breath from fighting.

"M-Ma'am?" I asked. "C-Can Wese go ta da hospital ta see her?"

"Yes, Mush, we can," Mrs. DuPree said. With that we all stood up and walked towards the hospital.

Police were around us all trying to protect us from the swarming people asking questions and nosey reporters wanting a good headline.

As we were walking, a realization hit me. Spot. He is going to... well... I don't know what he is going to do.

Finally, we got to the hospital. When we entered, Mr. DuPree was working on paperwork for her at the front desk. Once he finished and saw us he came over.

"She will heal. The worst thing that is wrong is three broken ribs; she also has a black eye and some bruising. We cleaned and patched her open wounds. I called Martin's mother to let her know that this has happened and Martin will be coming later today," he said with a soothing fatherly tone.

"Spot ain't gonna like da fact dat somethin happened an he didn' help. Wese gotta tell him but Ise ain't leavin so-"

As if on cue, all of the Brooklyn Newsies stormed in with Spot leading them. His face covered with mixed emotions of grief, fury, and heartbreak. I knew he loved Ella as a sister, I mean, it's hard not to love her.

"Where is she? Where's my lil' sista?" Spot asked with urgency. That's the first time he's admitted it out loud that he considered her that.

"She is in recovery Mr. Conlon-" Mr. DuPree started until Spot interrupted.