Chapter 6 Oh Margaret

*Ella's P.O.V.*

~~~a week after the fire~~~

     I got dressed in my usual baggy shorts, plaid button-up shirt, suspenders, boots, and my cap. Today is Sunday which is the Newsies day off. We all decided to go to Tibby's and just hang out outside like we normally do. While walking there someone was yelling my name and waving to me.

     "Ella! Hi Ella!"

     I knew exactly whose voice that was. It was Margaret DuPree, my best friend. Her and her family went to New Jersey for two weeks, so she didn't know what happened to my parents. We ran towards each other and have each other big hugs.

     "Hi Margaret!" I practically yelled in her ear as we pulled out of the hug.

     "Ella, listen, I'm so sorry about what happened to your parents. We just got home about 30 minutes ago, and the Hadley's told us what happened. Our home is your home girl, and we'll gladly take you in," she told me. She looked me over, then looked me in the eyes. "I see you've changed. What happened to you? Why are you hanging around with Newsies? Why aren't you wearing a dress?"

     "Margaret, they took me in when Mom and Dad... died..." I said softly. Even though it had been a week, I couldn't get over the fact that my parents were gone. "They're great kids and you shouldn't be quick to snap at me."

     "I wasn't snapping at you Ella. I'm happy that you're happy. I may not like you doing this," she looked at the Newsies, "but if you being happy is you staying here, I guess I can try and get to know them in private until I feel comfortable with this," she added.

     I attacked her in a hug. I did not expect her to say that. I did expect her to say she wanted to do it in private.

     "I'll introduce you to them!" I squealed and grabbed her arm and pulled her over to the boys.

     "Margaret this is Mush Meyers, Jack "Cowboy" Kelly, Racetrack Higgins, Kid Blink, Boots..." I continued to do this until I introduced all of them.

     "What's with the nicknames?" she asked.

     "Wese give each otha nicknames. My name's Racetrack cause I sell papes at da tracks an I likes at bet on da horses. Cowboy ova here got Cowboy cause he wants ta go ta Santa Fe," Race said as he lit his cigar.

     Margaret nodded and smiled at Race.

     "I see. Well, I have to go home and unpack. I just came to see where you were Ella, and tell you I'm sorry for your loss. Know my invitation is still open," Margaret gave me one last hug goodbye and waved to the rest of the Newsies. Especially Race. He took his hat off when she waved to him.

     "I think she likes you Race," I commented and nudged him in the arm.

     "She don' like me Kid. C'mon, let's jus eat," he said as he walked into Tibby's.

     Mush put his arm around me and we walked in. As we sat down, I saw someone I really wished I didn't see. He came over to me and Mush and smirked.

"Looks like 'Little Orphan Ella' is living with the Newsies of Manhattan," he sneered as he sat across from Mush and I and right next to Blink.

     "What do you want Martin?" I sneered at him.

     "Oh I want nothing. I just can't wait to see the faces of the people and the press when they see what you've been up to," Martin sneered back at me. "Kids at school want to know what's happened to you. 'What happened to the banker's daughter?' 'Did the banker's daughter burn?' This will definitely help clear things up. I can see it now in the papers 'Banker George Thomas's daughter, Ella Thomas, found hiding with the Newsies' Like that headline?" He asked snickering at me.

     "Youse betta leave Ella here alone," Mush said through gritted teeth.

      "We shall see what happens 'Little Orphan Ella., Tell your parents I said hi... oh wait... They're dead'" he laughed as he walked out of Tibby's.

     I stood up and started to walk out when Mush grabbed my arm.

     "Where youse goin' Ella? Youse gonna stay here an eat wit us?" He asked looking me in the eyes.

     "I'm goin to take Margaret up on her offer. Martin is a jerk and he will do anything to harm you guys. If going to live with Margaret and her family will protect you guys, then I'll live with her and her family," I said looking down.

"Ella, wese can take care of ouaselves. Wese promised we'd protect ya and wese'll protect ya against Martin. Please stay Ella?" Mush asked as he pulled me into a hug.

     "I'm sorry Mush, b-but w-we can' see each other anymore," I cried as I ran to the Newsboys lodge, got dressed in my old dress, left my other clothes on my bunk, and ran all the way to Margret's house.

     I hadn't stopped crying since I left Tibby's. When Margaret opened the door, she hugged me and took me up to her room. I told her everything that happened once she had to leave. She got so furious that she called her parents in and told them what I had just said. This is why I love Margaret's parents, they said they would go over to the Margery's house tomorrow and talk to Mr. and Mrs. Margery about what Martin had told me.

     "Dear, if you would like, you can go see this Mush fellow tonight and tell him what we are going to do. I have a feeling you know how to keep out of sight with living with Newsies for a week. Go before we change our minds. As much as we don't approve of how they act sometimes, you are our Goddaughter and we want you happy. Now go," said Mrs. DuPree.

     I hugged everyone thank you and just ran. I ran until I was out of breath in front of the lodge. I knocked on the door and Blink answered.

     "Hey Blink I have great news. Where's Mush?" I asked.

     "He doesn' want no one vistin' him, 'specially youse, but he's my closest friend so come on in. Don' make me regret doin' dis Ella," he said as I rushed to Mush's bunk.

     "Why youse here? Ya caused Mush enough pain!" Jack yelled at me.

     I started tearing up.

     "Please let me talk to him Jack. I need to tell him something. It involves me being able to see him again. Please let me see him Jack," I pleaded and started crying because they didn't like me that much now knowing what I had said to Mush.

     "Fine," Jack mumbled as he stepped to the side.

When I ran to Mush's bunk and climbed up I saw something I didn't want to see. Mush was laying in his bunk all beaten, bruised, and wrapped with dry blood caked all over him. When I kneeled by him he said words to me that made what the DuPree's told me disintegrate.

"Martin and more of ya friends did dis ta me. Da reportas were watchin' da whole thimg. Da cops are comin' for us cause dey think Wese keeping ya hostage," he said quietly.

     Next thing I knew, the cops were storming in and taking all of the boys away.

     "It's okay Ms. Thomas. You're safe now," one cop said as he dragged all of the boys away.