Chapter 5 Promises

*Mush's POV*

     As Ella cried in my arms, she just collapsed into me. She had cried so hard she knocked herself out.

     "She alright Mush?" asked Jack.

     "Sure hope so, Cowboy," I said as I carefully picked her up.

     Us boys took her back to the lodge where she stayed the rest of the night and part of the next day unconscious. At 3;44 she finally started to wake up. Rather than stay in bed, she darted up and looked around quickly.

     "Where are they!?! Where are my parents!?! Oh my gosh... They're d-dead... R-Really dead... It should've been me!" She screamed.

     I pulled her into my arms and held her.

     "Ella be glad youse is alive. Youse coulda been in dere an died too," I said trying to calm her down.

     "Mush, those were my parents! How could you say that!?! I've been raised by them my whole life! They loved me! They never payed as much attention to me as I would have liked, but they were still my parents, and I loved them, and they loved me too! It should've been me to die, not them! They didn't deserve it! I did after what happened with my sister!" she screamed furiously as she shoved past me and ran outside crying.

     The other boys just looked at me. I ran outside to find her. Nowhere. I couldn't find her anywhere. Race, Jack, Davey, and Blink were helping me look for her. We went to Brooklyn to see if Spot had seen her. As we were making our way up to the bridge, we saw Spot trying to pull back someone from jumping off the bridge. I had to squint to see who it was.

     "Uh... Mush... I think ya goil is tryin ta jump," Race said as he put out his cigar.

     "Let me go! I need to jump!"

     "Oh no youse don' goily! This bridge ain't for jumpin!" yelled Spot as he yanked her off the ledge.

     Us boys ran up to them, and I pulled Ella into a hug. The boys explained to Spot what happened. He apologized to Ella.

     "Mush, let me go!" She yelled crying. "I don't deserve to be here! I deserve what my parents got and that's death!"

     "I ain't letting youse go. Neva ya here? I didn't get da name 'Mush' from bein' hard as a rock. Ise got emotions too. I may not know what havin' parents is like, but I know dat yours did love ya. Mine neva did. My fatha was a drunk and my motha was killed by him. I was abused till my dad got arrested. I got da name "Mush" from bein' emotional. I may not know what love feels like, but I know how ta give it back. We Newsies may not be ya parents, but we sure as hell will love ya like we ya brodas," I said holding her against my chest, and wiping her tears.

     The other boys gathered around too, even Spot.

     "Youse've made Mush here a happy boy. Wese'll take care of ya. Wese'll teach ya how ta be da first goil Newsie," Jack said as he patted her back.

     "Listen, kid, I know ya just had dis whole kablooey happen, and ya don' know us fairly well, but wese'll take ya in as if youse one of da boys," Race commented while ruffling her hair trying to get a laugh outta her. He succeeded with a little chuckle.

     "Wese'll take care of ya Kid. I mean ise got one eye, but I can still see what's coming and protect ya. Youse can be one of da boys now," Blink said itching his eyepatch.

     "Ella, I know what it's like to have parents. My dad got injured and lost his job, but I can't imagine what it's like seeing that terrible thing happen to your parents. Just know we all will be here to protect you," Davey added with his innocent smile.

     Surprisingly, Spot added something. He came close and whispered it so his boys wouldn't see and think he was going soft if any were around.

     "Look, goily, I just met ya under not so good circumstances. I get why ya wanted ta do it, but don' eva do somethin' like dat again. Spot Conlon will make sure nuthin' happens to ya if ya decide to come ta Brooklyn," he whispered as he ruffled her hair the same way Race did.

     She giggled which I was glad of. She went and hugged everyone and we each returned the favor. Spot, of course, made sure his boys weren't watching, then returned the hug. We all stood up, and said goodbye to Spot. As they were walking up ahead, I pulled Spot aside to thank him personally. He patted my back, then went back to watching his boys. When I caught up with them, I took my cap off and placed it on Ella's head. She giggled and held my hand, leaning her head on my shoulder. I leaned my head on hers and we walked the rest of the way to the lodge like that. The boys were teasing us, but we just shut them out. I was glad to have her with me. When we got back it was bedtime.

     "Youse can take my bunk. I'll sleep on da bottom," I told Ella.

     "I couldn't do that. I'll take the bottom, you can take yours. Besides, I don't have any clothes. Just the ones on my back..." she said, looking depressed.

     I threw her one of my long shirts and baggy shorts. She changed quickly and I changed too. I insisted she have my bunk, and she took it after 10 mins. of arguing. I tucked her in, kissed her forehead, then climbed into the bunk under mine. I heard her up above singing herself to sleep again. Before she knocked out, she whispered, "I love you Mush Meyers."

     I knew she was tired and that she didn't really mean it the way the word is supposed to be used, but it put a smile on my face. I'd wait forever just to hear her tell me 'I love you'