Chapter 2 Boys boys boys

My mother knocked on my door, and came into my room. She had a huge smile across her face.

     "Why are you so happy?" I asked smirking.

     "Oh, just that boy out there. I really think he could be a future boyfriend and maybe even your future husband. You'll love him Ella!"

     When she said this, I almost died laughing. I had to hold myself back from not laughing. Was she being serious!? How does she know who's my future husband? I don't know why, but when she said future boyfriend my mind went straight to Mush. I'm rich and he's a Newsie. It could never work out. I've worked hard to keep my reputation, even though I had to lie and cheat my way here. All I could do was shake my head and look at her.

     "Mother he is fake. All the boys that come here come cause they think I'm pretty and they just stare at me. They never listen when I talk. Mother, I really don't want to meet him."

     She just stared at me like I was insane.

     "You will go down and entertain this boy. You know that Mr. Margery and your father are business partners. Entertain his son or else I'm taking away your privileges of going to Margaret's house for a month."

     Margret DuPree was my best friend. We always went to each other's houses after school. We were like sisters. Mother knew that I would do anything to hang out with Margret, especially since we have known each other since brith and have been through a lot of troubles with our family's.

     "Tell him I will be down shortly. I need to look my best for my future husband," I said sarcastically.

     All she did was give me an annoyed look and walked out of my room. Just as she left, a young boy walked in my room and was looking me over. All I could do was stare at him.

     "I'm glad I decided to come over. The view is lovely in this room," he smirked as he stepped closer to me.

     As he was stepping closer, I went out to my balcony. He followed me out and stood right next to me and put his arm around me. Boys, boys, boys. They really don't know how to make a lady like them. As I glanced at the yard I got an idea.

     "Why don't we talk down at the stables?"

     He took my hand and practically pulled me out of my room and dragged me outside. When he let go, I rubbed my hand.

     "Martin is it? Not the best first impression. You shouldn't treat a lady like that if you want to impress her."

     "Aw! Did I hurt you Precious? I'm sorry I didn't mean it," he grabbed my hand and kissed it.

     "That didn't help. Anyways, why don't we just start over if you want this "relationship" to blossom," I retorted. He nodded.

     "I really am sorry. I try to make girls not like me when I have to go out. My father makes me impress the girls. He thinks he rules my life and can make my decisions for me. I'll find the right person by myself. I don't need his help,"

     I just looked at him. He basically described what I do to boys when I have to impress boys. I thought maybe we could possibly have a friendship but nothing more.

     "I accept your apology. Maybe we could go to Tibby's and start over? Try and have a friendship, nothing more than a friendship?" I asked.

     "I'd like that. Let's go," he held his arm out for me and I liked arms.

     Our parents allowed us to have brunch there. We arrived at Tibby's when I saw someone I didn't really want to see. Mush and all of the other Newsies were there. I tried to hide my face as we passed, but Mush stopped us.

     "Excuse me. Ya wanna buy ya selves a pape?" he asked looking at me.

     "We don't talk to the poor. Especially... you people," I retorted.

     "We don't talk to the lower class, especially Newsies," Martin smirked. "I also don't talk to people who interfere with my time!" He smaked Mush across the face.

     I was shocked. All I could do was stare. The other Newsies ran over. One with a red bandana and cowboy hat hanging behind him spoke up.

     "You did not just do dat. Dat wasn' a smart move," he said as he shoved Martin back.

     "You wanna fight? I'm ready," he punched that boy in the stomach and threw Mush to the ground and started to fight. Mush fought back, and all of the other Newsies got involved.

     I tried to break up the fight, but ended up getting punched in the eye by Martin. I fell to the ground holding my eye and Mush and Martin ran over. Mush punched Martin and yelled at him.

     "Ya hurt her. Why'd ya hurt her?"

     "I wouldn't have hurt her if you had just ignored me!" Martin stood up and tackled Mush. "Get away from my girl!"

     I got up and tried to break the fight up again, but all I got was a few more punches from Martin. I fell down clutching my stomach. The last thing I saw was Mush running to my side. Everything went black after that.