Chapter 9 The Trial and Press

Today is the day that Mush and the other Newsies get out of the hospital and face trial. I was so scared of what could and would happen. Mush could see it too.

     "What's da matta Ella? Ya look like ya puppy jus got run ova by a horse an carriage," Mush asked me as I helped him out of bed for the first time.

     "I'm just nervous Mush. It's my fault you guys are in here, and today you get punished for something you didn't even do," I stated trying to fight the tears that threatened to pour down my face.

     Mush pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back trying to comfort and calm me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and just cried into him. He didn't say anything, he just listened as I poured out all of my emotions. Every once and a while he'd kiss my temple. As I got myself back together, Margaret and Racetrack came rushing in. Race looked a lot better. I mean they have been in here for two weeks.

     "Ella, there are a lot of reporters out there. They keep asking me stupid questions like 'Where is the banker's daughter?' and 'Why did the boys kidnap her?' oh and here's Race and I's favorite 'Has she beaten the filthy boy that took her and disposed of him?' I get your father was the governor's banker, but why do they call you 'the banker's daughter' when they know your name?" Margaret asked out of breath from apparently running. Race was just leaning against the wall.

     "My sister..." I said quietly, "After what happened to my sister I should've been in that fire too..."

     "No ya shouldn've Ella. What does the press callin' youse da banka's daughta have ta do wit ya sista? Mush said as he looked at me.

     I sighed knowing that I would've had to eventually tell him. I took a deep breath.

     "When we were 6 and 7, my sister Camilla, who was 6 at the time, and I were in Brooklyn with our parents. We were playing on the Brooklyn Bridge when it happened. Two guys tried to grab us. We fought back all we could. Not knowing the cost of doing it, I pushed Camilla off the bridge thinking she'd be fine since she could swim. Little did I know at 7 that by me pushing her caused her to snap her neck and break her spine making her drown. The two guys ran away when they saw the police coming. The press were all around asking me questions while I was having a mental and physical break down. She always called herself 'the banker's daughter' so I told reporters to call me that and not by Ella. They listened," was all I could get out before I broke down. Margaret came over and comforted me as Racetrack was helping Mush.

     Mr. DuPree came rushing in when he heard me crying. He immediately came over and held both Margaret and I.

"It's time guys..." was all Mr. DuPree said and we knew exactly what he meant.

We all looked at each other. We have been dreading this day for two weeks. It was now time for the Newsies to face trial.

~~~the trial~~~

We all arrived in the courtroom, and the boys were all looking at me. The judge slammed his mallet and started speaking.

"You need to try and convince me why I shouldn't fine you each $5 and sentence you to 3 months confinement in the House of Refuge for resisting arrest and taking Ella Thomas hostage during the house fire," the judge said. His eyes scanned the boys with this glare in his eyes that made Spot even a little intimidated. Spot Conlon, the leader of Brooklyn, intimidated. That's a first. Mush walked up to the judge.

"Your Hona, us boys may be livin' on da streets and we may be poor but we'd neva kidnap nobody. Youse can make all of the conclusions ya want but Wese would Neva hurt no goil and Neva kidnap no goil eitha. Your Hona, I love Ella and I'd neva lay a hand on her or any oda goil," was all Mush got out before I tackled him in a hug and began crying in his arms.

"Your Honor, we will pay the fines of these boys, but do not send them to the House of Refuge because I know the governor personally and I don't think you want to find out what'll happen if he comes storming in here," I said as I looked at the judge crying in Mush's arms. The judge coughed and nodded.

"Very well then, you each will be fined $5 and will be under close watch for 3 months," the judge stated.

The boys all looked at each other.

"Your Hona, we ain't got 5 bucks, we ain't got 5 cents," Racetrack stated. Margret giggled but immediately stopped when Race gave her a look.

"Boys, we said we'd pay your fines. All of them," Mr. DuPree stated.

"Now go before I change my mind! Case dismissed!" the judge slammed his mallet.

The boys all thanked Mr. DuPree and The DuPrees and I treated the boys to lunch at Tibby's. That's when the press came in and surrounded me and surrounded all of us. Just when I thought it ended, it all started up again.