Chapter Three

Valentines day. Mum's and Dad's wedding anniversary.

Mum hates this day, especially now that Dad has gone. No, she loathes this day. She resents this day. I know she resents me now, since I accidentally sold her out on Christmas. She didn't say a single word to me since then, and I don't blame her. We didn't count down to the New Year like we always did. I returned to school after the winter break, and came home to her hostility. She spend far too long cleaning the mess in the kitchen, and we would have to buy dinner from the shop down the road.

Today, we would normally sit in front of the tv, just Mum and me. Mum and Dad would take me to a theme park, and would let me play out with my best friend Emma whilst they went out to dinner. Emma was my best friend since kindergarten, and since we moved, I barely speak to her. I do a few times, but the WiFi is useless.

Valentines day isn't special to me. I never been in a relationship, and I don't see myself in one. Patience-May had heaps of boyfriends, and broke all of their hearts after three weeks. Since she kissed me, I don't know what to think of her. She didn't steal my first kiss, as I had that with Darryl Monks in middle school as a dare. He was the one that stole it. Once, at her birthday party, she brought her bad boy boyfriend back then named Gabriel, and the sight of him made Great Aunt Annabelle have a heart attack. That's how bad her boyfriends are.

Now, since she's worse because she killed Louis, Mum listens to sad, soppy love songs on the radio and cries continuously. She doesn't even want to watch tv now, and she's still cleaning the kitchen. Ever since Dad walked out, Mum became broken inside. They were childhood sweethearts (well, they officially became boyfriend and girlfriend in their senior year) and she still wears the pasta and bead necklace that he made her when they were seven. That's how close they were.

It's upsetting to see her so broken. Now that she finally finished the kitchen, I walk up to her room, as she stuffs herself with a box of chocolates, watching movies.

"I saw two tickets to the funfair on the pavement when I went grocery shopping."

She groaned and ignored me. Her eyes were fixed on the tv. She continued to eat the chocolates, and use up the box of tissues.

"It's for today. I think we should go."

Mum threw her boxes on the floor, and jumped up. She rushed to her wardrobe, and opened it wide.

"Get dressed then!", she nagged. I continue to stare at her in astonishment.

"Mum?"

"Amber, what?"

"Why do you want to go to the fair?"

Mum finished getting dressed, and turned to me. "I don't know," she said, falling into the be, "Amber, just get dressed!"

I rushed to my bedroom and threw myself into my ripped jeans and my blue vest top, and threw myself into my short, brown, leather jacket. I slipped into my black trainers, and rushed downstairs. Mum came downstairs minutes later, wearing a blue blouse and flare jeans, with gold sandals. Her hair was in a bun, and she was wearing hoop earrings.

"Can I take my nameless puppy?", I asked, "since Christmas, he was chewing his toy in the corner.

"No," she said, "but are you ready to go Amber?"

I nodded and gave her a ticket. After pulling up in her old, yellow Mini Cooper, we were finally here, and we managed to get in. Looking at the rides made me dizzy, and I could tell that Mum didn't look keen either. There were bumper cars and games, and there were colourful rollercoasters and a ride that slowly went up to the sky, before coming back down rapidly. I turn to the right. There was a helper shelter and a haunted house that I used to love. Behind me, there was food stalls. I went on only five rides, including the ride that takes you to te sky, before rapidly landing on the ground. Mum sat on the bench, watching me, just like old times. I sat beside her, as she ate her way through a packet of crisps.

"Don't be afraid to live, Mum.", I said. Mum looked at me, raising her eyebrow.

"I'm not afraid to live, Amber!", she exclaimed, "I hate rides, that's all!"

I shake my head, and took her hand. She sighed, we walked to a ride, and waited in a line. As soon as we went on, I never see her smile that much. It's almost like she's having too much fun, and half an hour later, she was on nearly all of the rides. As she was about to go on another one, her face began to look pale.

"Mum?", I asked, "you okay?"

She ignored my question and tumbled next to a business man, whilst I sat next to a boy. The ride took off minutes later, and the boy was now staring down at the ground, clutching the bar. The ride was speeding up, rising up from the ground, and driving away from the fair itself on the tracks.

"Hi.", I said to him. He looked up at me, and smiled, showing his dimples, and his pearly white teeth. His brown hair with small curls glowed in the sun, and his skin was fair and white, almost like the sun rays.

"The names Darren. Darren Franks.", he said. "Please help me get off this thing!"

"No can do, I'm afraid!", I yelled excitedly as the ride yet again speeds up. "Amber, by the way!"

"Nice to me you!", he screamed, "you can tell I'm scared right?"

"Nah," I said sarcastically, and we laughed. As the ride slows down, I jumped at the sound of vomit, which continued as someone else coughed and spluttered. I then heard someone scream in disgust, and someone else swearing loudly, furious.

I look to where Mum was, and she was covered in sick.

She had a bit too much fun.

DON'T FORGET TO
VOTE
COMMENT &
SHARE!

THANKS FOR READING!

Edited 07/01/18