13

Time had a habit of passing quickly. It seemed almost yesterday that I'd got together with Scott, but in reality, our one year anniversary was coming up. Scott said he was taking me out for a nice meal in the evening, and I couldn't wait. Although we saw each other lots, going out on proper dates still gave me a buzz in the pit of my stomach. I never wanted to see the day when I felt totally indifferent around Scott, because I was totally in love with him, and by some miracle, he loved me too.

It seemed forever ago that Scott had sent Candace to help me  decide what to wear for one of our first outings together, but in the past months we'd ended up seeing each other a lot on Scott's shoots, and become fast friends. It was a no brainer that she came over before I went out, because even now I still liked reassurance that I did look half good enough for my wonderful boyfriend, even if he never did anything but make me feel like a queen.

And, by my logic, if Candace was there, Kirstie might as well be too. Ever since the start, she'd felt a little bit like my personal fairy godmother, and I struggled to remember how I'd survived without knowing she was on the other end of the phone when I needed her.

-

I was holding up a black and white vertically striped shirt for the girls to see, at which Kirstie nodded enthusiastically (as she had at everything I'd shown her, the sweetheart) as Candace looked unsure. I sighed in defeat, flopping down next to Kirstie on the sofa.

"Do your thing, Cand. I can tell you've been dying to since the first shirt,"

She grinned at me, heading to my wardrobe, which she now frequently advised me on and suggested items I would never have considered a year ago. I loved her out-there style, but today she came out with a plain black short sleeved button up shirt and black dress trousers. I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow, wondering if tonight was much fancier than I'd anticipated.

"Tonight is a special occasion, Mitchy," Candace said, hanging the items over the door handle.

She and Kirstie shared a look, as if they knew something I didn't. I kept quiet, knowing they would tell me if I needed to know.

I looked over the outfit Candace had chosen, and headed into my room to change. I don't know why I questioned her choice, as I knew I'd end up wearing whatever she picked out anyway.

I came out after doing up my final button, smoothing the shirt down as the girls looked me over.

"Perfect!" Kirstie exclaimed.

"Now, let us do your hair and a bit of makeup..."

-

I found myself sat on the edge of my bath tub as Candace perfected the sweep of my fringe, and Kirstie dabbed on concealer.

"You two are great, but like, what's with all the help? I feel like I'm getting married!" I joked.

Kirstie choked suddenly, Candace patting her on the back lightly.

"We just wanted to help you feel perfect for your special evening out! What kind of friends do you think we are?" Candace defended.

I smiled at them both. I really did have some amazing friends.

-

Scott came to pick me up, wearing the same ensemble as me, only with a white shirt. He stopped to quickly say hi to the girls, before I left them in my flat, knowing they wouldn't trash it, and Kirstie had a spare key anyway.

I had my arm looped through Scott's as we walked down to his car, and he kept on turning his head to smile at me, like I was some kind of mythical being he couldn't quite believe he was seeing. His happiness was infectious.

"I'm so lucky to have you, babe," I told him, meeting his sky blue eyes.

"I love you," he said, pressing a kiss to the top of ny head.

Scott held my door open like the gentleman he was, before getting in on the drivers side and heading off to wherever we were going that evening. I had learned over the months that Scott was a big fan of not telling me where we were headed, and I'd grown to love the excitement too.

-

We pulled up outside a fancy looking restaurant that I couldn't remember having vistited before.

"This place is new, and I've heard it's great, so I thought it would be perfect for tonight,"

"I can't wait," I smiled as Scott's hand found it's way into mine.

The interior of the place was sleek and minimalistic. Plush black seats were stationed around glossy black glass tables, candles flickering between the ready wine glasses. A smartly dressed waiter met us at the door and guided us to our table. Scott held out my seat, and then stationed himself accross from me.

"Can I get you any drinks to start with?" asked the waiter.

"Champagne," we both said simultaneously, grinning at the other.

The man nodded with a polite smile, heading off to fetch us a bottle.

Once both of our glasses had the fizzing liquid in, I truly felt like we were celebrating something special. Scott was the most precious thing in the world to me, and it still made me so infinitely happy to know he felt the same.

We both picked our meals from the menu. I had almost predicted what Scott would get, having come to know his tastes quite well.

The meal was delicious, the kind of top quality food that you wish you could live off (but I'd probably still run back to my cheap comfort food eventually). I was full and content, happily chatting away to my boyfriend as we held hands over the table.

The waiter came and took our plates away, and after he'd gone, Scott gave me a nervous smile that I couldn't quite understand. Why was he nervous for a meal out? I felt like I was out of the loop somehow.

He took a deep breath before moving out of his seat to kneel beside me. My mouth dropped open, hand flying to cover it as Scott pulled out a small box and what was happening finally dawned on me. It all made sense now!

"Mitchell Grassi," Scott began, his nerves still evident, "I love you more than I ever thought was possible, and every moment I spend with you makes me infinitely happy. Would you do the honour of making me the happiest man alive and becoming my husband?" he asked, eyes hopeful.

"Yes, Scott, yes!" I said, throwing my arms around his neck.

Cameras flashed, but I barely noticed them. We held each other in a tight embrace for a moment, and a part of me registered that now I never really had to let go.

I loosened my grip on Scott to properly look at the ring he'd picked out, a gold band with small Sapphire and Ruby gems embedded in it. He slipped it on my ring finger, and it was a near perfect fit.

My heart was ready to burst from the joy of it all, and I leaned down to kiss Scott, the flashing bulbs of the cameras almost feeling like fireworks in the background of the most perfect day yet.