4

When the day of the party arrived, I was nervous. I went to work, tried to keep calm on air and answer the continuing questions about Scott as neutrally as possible, not wanting to sound like an over-excited twelve year old.

Kevin cornered me afterwards to enquire as to why I was bouncing on the balls of my feet as Jess started her show. It had been a normal Friday show, but my stomach kept doing somersaults, and I was trying to do something to release the nervous energy.

"I'm going to a party with Scott this evening,"

Kevin's mouth fell open.

"Why are you going to all this effort to deny that you're dating then? Did he tell you to do it? Was it his manager?" He crossed his arms and looked irritated. I was vaguely amused by the image of Kevin going to fight Avi for telling me what to do.

"We're going as friends, Kev." I gave him a look, and his arms fell at his sides again.

"OK Mitch, if thats what you've been told to say..."

"KEV!" I jokingly hit his arm, but with my strength and his muscles, he probably barely felt it.

I began the drive back from work feeling quite calm, but my nerves increased as I got closer to my home.

When I arrived I showered quickly, and then threw on some jogging bottoms and an oversized t-shirt before turning to my wardrobe to try to find something suitable for the evening.

I really had no clue what to wear. As I held up a fourth shirt, there was a knock at the door. Scott had asked for my address last night, but if he was here now he was ridiculously early. When I opened the door I found a striking woman with bleached blonde hair.

"Hi, I'm Candace. Scott asked me to come over and help you get ready for this evening," She put out a hand, and I shook it.

"Thanks, come in," I stepped back to allow her to enter, bringing a large bag with her.

"Would you like a drink or something?" I asked as we entered the kitchen.

Candace shook her head, and perched on the arm of my sofa. After looking me over carefully, she smiled.

"What were you planning on wearing for this evening?" She enquired.

"Black jeans and some sort of shirt, but I can't decide..."

"Can I see what you've got so far?"

I lead her to my bedroom, showing the five shirts layed out on the bed. She gave an approving look.

"How do you feel about black with black?" She enquired, looking at the label of one of the shirts I'd been considering.

"My favourite colour combo." I informed her with a smile.

"Well then, I have an idea. I just need to fetch my bag from the other room... You can put your jeans on quickly" She hurried off to go and find the bag.

I quickly went into my bathroom to switch my joggers for the jeans. It was less comfy, but infinitely more appropriate for tonight, I felt. I emerged to find Candace waiting for me, her large bag on my bed.

"I think I have something that'll do for you,"

She rummaged through the bag, unearthing from its depths a black shirt folded and wrapped in plastic. After she unwrapped the garment she smoothed out the creases that seemed invisible to me.

"Try this," she handed it to me. "Its probably a bit oversized on you, but I think we can work with it,"

I went into the bathroom to change quickly looking in the mirror before I showed Candace. I looked suprisingly good. It had baggy sleeves that made me look even smaller than I was, with a waistline that tapered in to give a slightly slimmer fit, and I loved it.