3

A couple of days before the party, Scott met me at a little café at the edge of the city after my radio show. He had recommended it as it was quiet, and neither of us wanted paparazzi following us into Starbucks, because as great as their coffees were, I didn't fancy Avi turning up on my door to tell me off for ruining Scott's image.

We'd been talking every day, at first on Twitter DMs, but then we had swapped phone numbers. I had him saved in my phone with a blue heart next to his name. Because friends do that.

Thanks in part to Scott's love of frequently tweeting screenshots of my messages out of context (thankfully he had the decency to not share anything too flirty), the reporters were increasingly convinced that we were in fact dating.

Which we weren't. (Sadly)

It all seemed ridiculous, because even though there was lots of speculation about us, he was dating Kirstie. A fact that, untill a few days ago, no one had an issue with. Now the gossip sites were full of accusations of cheating, and all sorts of ridiculous things, like fake relationships. I mean, who does that anymore?

Scott sat across from me on a sofa like the one I was on, drinking his coffee. I'd thought about sitting next to him, but I wasn't sure if that violated some sort of bro code, which was something I, unsurprisingly, lacked fluency in.

He'd still only really been aware of my existence for a week, but I felt like we were on the way to being good friends. There's nothing like a good old public scandal to bond people together. Scott was still dropping flirty comments into conversation though, and I wasn't entirely sure what he meant by it. The obvious reason was that he was like this with everyone, but I'd never really seen him around other people, so I couldn't tell. I undeniably had a bit of a crush on him, but so did half of America so it didn't feel particularly significant.

Today, Scott was trying to be inconspicuous, so he was wearing a dark hoodie with jeans. I wore the same, also wanting to hide to the best of my abilities, but somehow he looked a thousand times better. Maybe it was the fancy brand labels on his clothes or just the way he sat, spread over the sofa confidently. He was scrolling around on his phone, when suddenly his sparkling blue eyes lifted to meet mine and he noticed that I had been looking at him. He smirked, as seemed to be his habit.

"Take a picture, it lasts longer."

"Wow, I've never heard that one before," I sassed back, rolling my eyes.

"Talking of pictures, can we take one for my Instagram?"

"Wouldn't that just annoy Avi?"

"Yes," Scott laughed, "But if I followed every rule he made up I'd have no fun and he'd have no job. And the kids will love it!"

I laughed as Scott moved over to sit next to me. I wasnt sure exactly who he counted as 'the kids', but whatever, I was still down for a selfie with him. I started trying to fix my hair and he nudged my shoulder with his.

"You already look cute, don't worry!"

"You have a crazy amount of Instagram followers, I'm not looking at all ugly in a picture that will be seen by thousands of people," I gave him a look.

"You couldn't look ugly if you tried!" Scott declared. Talking him up on this challenge, I pulled a hideous face and he laughed. "That was more weird than ugly,"

"Whatever," I maturely stuck my tongue out at him. Scott returned the gesture. Good to know I'm not the only five year old around here.

He draped an arm around my shoulders casually, and I found myself leaning into him slightly as he took a few snaps. He kept his arm around me as he reviewed the photos, finally finding one we both approved of. Scott uploaded it to Instagram, and then put his phone away, removing his arm from me and leaning back against the sofa with his arm now across the back, to look at me. I missed his warmth.

My phone pinged before I could start up another conversion, alerting me to the fact that I'd been tagged in a post by @ScottHoying. I opened it up to have a proper look.

@ScottHoying:
We're too cute

I smiled at his caption. There were a couple hundred likes already, and lots of comments. He clearly was loving the drama that hanging out with me brought. It was a little overwhelming, so I put my phone back in my pocket. I leaned back against the sofa to smile at Scott, being careful to not lean on his arm.

To an outsider, we probably looked like we were on a date, with us both now sitting on the same sofa, almost touching and looking at each other almost constantly.

I couldn't help but wonder if the new seating arrangement was part of the reasoning behind Scott's sudden photo request.

"So," We both began to speak the same time. We laughed at our synchronisation, and then Scott gestured for me to go first.

"Are you looking forwards to this party?"

"That is exactly what I was going to ask you!" Scott laughed again.

"Are you?"

"Yeah, it should be fun. There's free alcohol, lots of people to talk to and this time I get to introduce you to all the cool kids!" Scott seemed genuinely very excited, and there was something childlike and sweet about it.

"I'm excited, but also kinda nervous. I don't really hang out with many famous people. By which I mean just you."

"Focus on the people part, not the famous one," This was surprisingly philosophical from Scott. It seemed like sound advice, and made some of my anxiety fade.

"Anyone I'm likely to know going apart from you?" I was curious about who would be there. Quite how fancy was this thing?

"Kirstie's going," Scott said, "And a few of my friends, but like I said, it's pretty much just a slightly fancy house party."

"I feel like our definitions of 'slightly fancy' differ somewhat,"

"Maybe. I will personally make sure you have fun anyway," Scott looked into my eyes as he spoke and I swear my insides melted slightly.

"Ok," I said with a smile, hoping I wasn't blushing. At least, not blushing anymore than I had been previously.

Just the idea of attending a party with Scott made me blush. I mean, it was totally just so he could introduce me to his contacts, maybe to hang out as friends, but I was still excited.

-

Scott's phone beeped, and he took it out. After reading the message, he sighed and turned to me.

"I have to go, Avi just sprang a surprise meeting on me."

"Do you think the Instagram post has anything to do with it?" I gave a small smile.

Scott left a generous tip by his cup, stood, and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Maybe," He gave what could almost be described as a giggle, but the word didnt seem to fit the ridiculous giant that he was.

"I'll talk to you later, yeah?" He continued.

"Of course. I told you you're obsessed with me,"

As he walked away, he laughed.

"You wish!"

Boy, did I wish.