✴Twenty Three✴

Last night, Ashley asked me not to utter a word about her having a mate and how awesome of a person he's, to his brother or anyone, before leaving.

I texted Austin asking if he was okay with picking me up from my house and drop me off at Zander's or Ryan's, since I'd to meet Head Alpha Nick and the others to make my decision official.

Austin agreed right away and got here in few minutes. I don't know why he was being such a jerk to Ashley but was a good friend to me. I'm a human too. But I remember him passing a snarky comment when Zander first introduced me to his guys as the Luna. That incident makes me believe that Austin is a jerk and doesn't have so good impressions on humans, especially on girls. May be he's an airhead like Ryan? Or he may have had a terrible flashback with a human in it?

"So, have you made your choice yet?" Austin spoke up after a couple of minutes I hopped into his car.

I snapped my neck in his direction and grinned evilly in my head. He started this and made it easier for me to commence my wicked game.

"I don't know." I put on my wonderful sad/confused voice and looked down at my lap and fiddled with my fingers. I did feel his eyes on me for a short period of time.

"Hmm." He said and there was a silence prevailing in the car. Not so fast, back off silence.

"Austin? Can I tell you something?" I asked, again with the sad/confused facade.

Once I got a 'yeah' from him I started, "When the guys first claimed me as their mate, all I felt was unfit. I was just a pathetic human and they were freaking alphas. I was in no way suitable for them. If I'd told about this to Zander his mom might've spanked me until I said 'sorry for feeling that way'. If I had spoken about this to Rebecca or Ashley-" his hold on the steering wheel tightened when I mentioned Ashley. There's much more boy, "- they may lock me up in a room and beat me until I apologized to them. All of them are so loving and caring, they don't even see me as a non-wolf being." I bragged, turning to look at his expressions.

He smiled, with his eyes on the road. "Yeah, they all love you so much."

"Not all of them, there's always an odd one out." I said, sighing.

"What do you mean?" He shot me a questioning look for a second and turned back.

"Ryan doesn't like the fact that I'm a human and his mate." I spoke in the tone which Ashley had used the before night while talking about Austin.

The car screeched and came to a abrupt stop since Austin stomped on the break all of a sudden. I almost flew out of my seat and banged my head on the front glass. Damn! It hurts.

"What was that for?" I asked, rubbing my head vigorously.

His breathing got uneven and he was looking only at the road and I was expectantly looking at his face.

He let out a loud sigh and punched on the wheel before running his hand through his hair and down his face.

"Is something wrong?" I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"I just did the exact thing to my mate, Kate." Wow, that rhymed. Huh? He's owning up? I can't believe my ears.

"What?" I asked, dumbly, of course, continuing with my facade.

"I pushed my mate away from me because she was a human." He was looking at me. He did sound guilty.

I gasped and shut my mouth, with wide eyes. Okay, time to unleash my inner beast. I couldn't cope up with this stupid facade.

"Why are you guys so mean? It's what the fate had chosen, okay. Did you ever think of how the other person, who's your other half, would feel by your stupid actions?" I yelled at his face.

"I didn't know that it would hurt so much. But when you said about Ryan. I could see that how badly you had been hurt and all that. I realized that my mate would've gone through the same thing too." He said, getting teary. Oh my God! Is he gonna cry?

I kept glaring at him. I didn't know what to say or ask.

"Who's your mate?" I asked and shook my head, immediately, "You don't have to answer that if you're not willing to."

He shook his head too. "I want to say it, Kate. If not I might break down or something. The guilt is eating me up. I'm gonna say it to the whole world. It's Ashley." He said and a drop of tear rolled down his cheek.

It must be really killing him inside for treating her so badly. I wiped his tear off and pulled him for a hug.

"Tell her today. I'm gonna announce my decision today either. Let's do it, together?" I asked after pulling back.

He grinned.

"Who have you chosen?" He asked, after resuming with the driving.

"Uh-uh, I'm not telling it here." I shook my head.

"Pft." He scowled.

⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

When we got there, Zander was first one to greet me. He hugged me tightly and kissed me on my forehead.

We made our way to Ryan's house since Alpha Nick was there. With Zander and Austin on either sides, I stepped inside the house. Zander left to bring others to the living room.

"It's him, right?" Austin whispered pointing to the direction where Zander just disappeared into. I smiled at Austin and turned away.

Alpha Nick and Luna Sadie rushed to me in lightening speed and hugged me so tightly. I almost choked.

"We're so happy." Sadie said smiling ear-to-ear. Her eyes were smiling too. Only few people have eyes like that, and she was one among those few. Alpha Nick might've told her already.

By the time, the crushing my bones session was over, the living room was full with both the family members, Zander's as well as Ryan's. Ashley looked at me and at Austin, confused. I winked at her. She shot me a small smile from her couch. Ryan was sitting on one couch and glaring at me and Zander was standing behind his parents couch, smiling so cutely.

"Shoot it, darling." Luna Sadie cheered from her couch.

I got so nervous all of a sudden and my hands started to sweat. My heart started beating loudly. I'm sure that all of them would've heard my heart drumming violently.

Austin was standing by my side, all the while. He even held my hand and squeezed. That was a bit helpful but Ryan letting out a low growl wasn't so helpful.

I took in a lot of air before opening my mouth to say that one name.

"Um- I've chosen..."I paused to give a dramatic effect. Yes, it worked. Rebecca, Luna Sarah and Helen were at the tip of the couch now, eagerly gaping at my mouth while the men had their brows raised, except for Alpha Nick. He was grinning sheepishly.

"Oh! I've something to say either."Austin butted in and everybody groaned.

"I'm sorry. I love you, Ashley." He blurted out and Ashley rose up in lightening speed but before she could get to Austin, Rebecca caught her arm and pulled her back to the couch.

"Let that girl say the name, and then you can hug your mate or do whatever you want to." Rebecca ordered, playfully. She knew all this while that Austin was Ashley's too? I can enquire about that later.

Austin groaned. I couldn't help but chuckle at him.

"It's Ryan Adams." The moment I shut my mouth I felt myself travelling downwards towards the floor and also hitting it with a small thud.