Promises -4a

Chapter 4A-Promises!

A Sunny Sunday. Manik was home today. He woke up late in morning and after taking a bath he came into his balcony. He leaned with the railing and looked around. The weather was fresh. He saw Nandini again playing around in the garden with her pet. Unknowingly now a days stealing glances of Nandini became his favorite part time especially when she was unknown of his gaze. He used to smile the way she bite her tongue on some mistake. Luckily his balcony was at a safe place. He can see in the garden but the person in the garden can't get the glimpse of his balcony. The cool breeze of late morning touched his face and he stared at Nandini. He himself was unsure of his own behavior. He never thought that he will ever crave to see a 'girl's' face. But now he was! To check Nandini once in night since she got scared in night became his daily routine. And once again he was staring at her and she was totally unaware of his stare. He bite his lower lip and went back to his room. He picked up his painting canvas and paints. Manik was a superb painter. He used to paint in his spare times..!

He sat in front of his canvas and started stroking the picture. Constantly looking at Nandini time to time. It seems he was doing all this unconsciously. It wasn't his will..! His heart was forcing him to draw..! After an effort of one hour suddenly he stood up and backed off. He stared at the picture and he himself gasped..! He had drawn NANDINI's smiling face..! The paints plate and brush fell off his hands. He ruffled his hair helplessly and almost fell on his bed. Staring at the ceiling and shook his head.. 

"Manik..! Never trust a woman..!"A voice echoed in his ears..! A known voice! He knew whose voice was it! He palmed his ears to stop that voice but it grew louder and louder with each second.  

"Ahhh...!"He yelled furiously and got up. "No..! No..! No..!"He whined like a baby hell scared. That voice was suddenly started getting on his nerves. He trashed everything away which came in his hand and suddenly the door opened. He saw Nandini coming in..! He stared at her and backed off.. 

"Mr.Malhotra..! Are you ok..?"She asked worriedly and he shook his head..!  

"St-stay aw-away..!"He shouted scared like a kid and Nandini was baffled.. 

"Mr.Malhotra..! it's me..! Nandini..!"She was shocked and was unsure even how to react. She was playing in the garden when suddenly she heard Manik's shout. She became worried and came running to him.  

"Have you hea-heard th-that voice?"He asked horrified and backed off to the balcony and she moved forward. 

"What voice Mr.Malhotra?"She asked softly. An urge of calming him down aroused in her heart he was her husband in spite of their conflicts she was worried seeing him in this condition. She saw him sinking on the floor of balcony and he was constantly staring at her.  

"Vo-voice..!"He again spoke and she too knelt in front of him. "There was a voice..!"He tried to explain himself and she patiently held his hands. 

"Mr.Malhotra..! It's nothing..! You have surely misunderstood something..!"She said politely caressing his knuckles with her thumbs and he look at her confused..! Suddenly his next move left Nandini baffled. He..! He hugged Nandini..! MANIK MALHOTRA HIMSELF HUGGED NANDINI..! He hugged her so tightly that she felt her bones almost crushing. She was startled for a second but then she hugged him back. Her hands automatically reached his hair and she ruffled them softly, trying to calm him down. While Manik was totally not in his senses. A critical situation for him..! He needed someone to calm him down..! He needed assurance...! His hot breath fanned Nandini's neck.. 

"I-I mis-misunderstood?"He asked again still hugging her.. 

"Yes yes..! You misunderstood..!"Nandini whispered lightly and he snuggled in her hair more. She was worried for him. The man who had the ability to upside the world down was hiding himself in her arms like a kid who hide himself in his mother's warmth. She kept sitting with him hugging him tightly and suddenly her eyes fell on the painting..! Her eyes bulged out of her sockets and she tried to broke the hug but Manik didn't let her move even a little. Manik made her painting?? What was happening?