Moving On

(Kris)

I sat at my table, my name carved into where I sit before Gabriel came rushing in, yelling something over his shoulder.

He had a bagel in one hand and a coffee in the other.

His blond hair was tousled in a fashionable way, his lips looked more pink today, his outfit making me worry. He wore a grey scarf wrapped around his neck, a brown overcoat going to his knees, navy jeans, and boots.

Why all the dim colors?

"Either you're on your man period or something is up!" I hit the table with my hands as he sat beside me.

"You do not want to know."

"I do though." I huffed.

"My moms just being crazy lately. She keeps overworking herself because the company is the most important thing in her life."

"That's not true." I frowned at him. "You're her son."

"That doesn't matter to her," He said barely above a whisper.

• • •

Tyler sat down beside me in Mr. Henry's class, glancing at me slowly. "Um, hey."

Butterflies flew through my stomach and around my beating heart, making me take in a breath.

"Hi."

Oh my lollipop unicorns, this is awkward.

"Look Kris, I'm sorry. Can we just ... be friends?" He sighed, looking at me hopefully.

He didn't he even say what he was sorry for. Friends, he wants to be just friends. He's pretending it never happened. He ignored me.

It was as if a crow bar had been stabbed through my chest.

"Sure." I put on a fake smile.

"Great." He grinned, showing me a toothy smile. "We need to work on the project ... we haven't really been doing anything."

Brain Bomb.

"Oh my frozen bakery! We're going to get an 'F'!" I hit my desk. "Okay, when should we start working on it again?"

He though for a second before speaking again. "Um, how about ... tomorrow? It's a Saturday and I can just pick you up."

"Sounds good, okay!" I smiled, pretending to be okay again.

Being friends was ... better than nothing, right? Maybe that's all we're supposed to be.

By the end of class, Tyler and I had been getting weird looks but ... Tyler didn't even pay attention! He swiftly ignored them, talking to me about different things. It was probably the best Art class yet. We both agreed that he would pick me up at three, being the best 'weekend time' to start the project.

"Don't forget, we have a project tomorrow!" Tyler pointed at me, walking backwards before he headed to his last class period.

I grinned, waving a hand at him like a crazy person before giggling and heading to my locker, getting my Language Arts notebook (It's my last class period).

I frowned seeing a sticky note folded onto it.

Oh, great. Another one.

Did Z seriously think I wouldn't know it was her?

Kris,

I'm sorry. I am so sorry for embarrassing you like that but I swear on everything I own, it was the first time I stuck a note like those to your locker. Kris, you're awesome. You're nice, sweet, caring, cute, gentle, innocent, considerate, sneaky, loud, exciting. You're a great person, don' t let idiots like me get in the way of that. I'm so sorry. I was so mean to you and you helped me anyways. Thank you. And if it helps, I know who really put those notes on your locker.