Chapter 28: Night Shift

Daryl was ecstatic when he woke up the next morning to a phone call for a job opening. He took the job immediately and they wanted him in for an interview.

Prison Guard.

Daryl wasn't much for cops, but when it came to be being tough he was the man for the job. All he had to do was stand next to a few other guards at night and make sure the prisoners weren't getting out of hand.

Madison was off at school so Daryl got ready and went in for his interview. They did a background check on him and fingerprinted him, then they got him suited up. "You start work in two days. Eight pm to five am." The head security guard said handing him a few shirts that said 'Security' on the front and back in big bold yellow letters. "You wear this vest too."

Daryl nodded and took in all this information. "Do I get any benefits?" He asked. "Yeah, paid holidays. So, Christmas you'll be paid normally, but you'll get two weeks off. We get paid every two weeks." Great! Daryl would get a paycheck before Christmas and he could buy Madison some gifts and some for her folks.

When Daryl picked Madison up from school he was shaking. He was so excited to tell her about the job. "Hi, baby." She said said sliding in the truck and kissing his cheek. "Hey doll, I got good news." Daryl was smiling, he couldn't contain it. "I got a job!" Madison squealed in her seat. She jumped up and down and moved over so she could throw her arms around his neck and give him a huge hug and kiss.

"Oh my gosh! Daryl! I'm so proud of you!" She exclaimed before kissing him again. "You are amazing! I knew you could do! So where do you work?" Madison was interested to know. "Prison. I get to be the guard. I work night shift. Eight to five." He explained. Daryl wished then he would've kept his mouth shut because she looked upset now. "Prison guard... That's dangerous Daryl. And night shift? You'll be gone all night."

"But I'll be home through the day." Daryl was trying to make his news sound good, but it wasn't working. "I had to take the job, Madi, you know that." Daryl was rubbing her back, hoping she'd understand. "Okay, just please be careful." She begged and kissed him again before sitting down on her side of the truck.

~

Daryl has been working for a week now. He'd sleep during the afternoon, then wake up for work. Daryl was shocked that Madison had woken up everyday at five to greet him when he got home.

What Daryl didn't know was that Madison wasn't waking up. Since Daryl worked night shift, Madison couldn't sleep at night. So she'd stay up all night long until five thirty when Daryl got home, then crawl in bed with him and sleep.

Madison would only get a few hours of sleep some nights, three or four if she was lucky. Madison would sleep from five am to eight am and wake up for school, then she would stay up until five am that night waiting on Daryl to get back. She couldn't tell him that she wasn't sleeping right or he'd quit the job. Daryl loved his new job and told her all the time how great it was.

Once again Madison was awake waiting on Daryl to get in. She had made him some dinner and had it waiting on the kitchen table. Madison was so tired and she hasn't slept in two days.

The other morning Madison woke up at nine in the morning. She stayed up all night long until five am and when Daryl got home she thought she'd be able to sleep, but Daryl wasn't tired and insisted on them fooling around a bit. Then at eight she got up for school, and here she was still awake, waiting on Daryl.

As Daryl pulled in the driveway he was still wide away. When he walked inside Madison was at the table half asleep and Daryl noticed the bags under her eyes. "Hey, sweetheart. Let me change real quick." He kissed her forehead and went to the bedroom. The bed was perfectly made and Daryl snickered, thinking it was an OCD problem of Madison's. She liked to be clean and Daryl laughed at her making the bed. Madison made that bed when Daryl left for work and she hasn't slept in it. She hasn't slept in awhile.

"I made hot roast beef sandwiches and mashed potatoes." Madison said to Daryl as he came up behind her. "Thanks doll." As he sat down he noticed that Madison didn't have a plate in front of her and he was worried she wasn't eating. "Where's yer' food at?" "I already ate," she whispered and rested her eyes. Daryl knew she was tired and ate quickly so she could go back to bed. Or in her case, finally go to bed.

As they crawled into bed Madison snuggled into the covers. Daryl wrapped an arm around her waist and she was asleep instantly. She didn't have any classes tomorrow so she intended to sleep until late afternoon when Daryl woke up.

~

Around four in the afternoon Madison groaned and rolled over. She yawned and stretched her arms above her head. Daryl was still fast asleep beside her, an arm resting over his eyes. Madison nudged his side. "Daryl..." He didn't respond. She straddled his lap and moved his arm off his face. "Hey, sleepyhead, wake up." She kissed his lips and he stirred a bit. He finally opened his eyes and looked up at her. He still had that sleepy look to his face. His bright blue eyes were staring up at her. "Mornin'," he grunted and sat up, keeping Madison on his lap. "Afternoon," she corrected. "It's four o'clock." Daryl snickered, "right. Ima get a shower." He said. Madison stood up in her white t shirt and panties and headed for the kitchen to make them something to eat before he left for work.

While Daryl showered Madison made chili. She was still only wearing the t-shirt when Daryl came out. After putting all the ingredients in for dinner she took a seat so it could cook. "Have a nice shower?" Madison asked when Daryl got a can of soda from the fridge. "S'alright. Better if ya' were in there." He winked. "Daryl Dixon did you just wink at me?" She teased. "Don't think so," he winked again. Madison got up and sat in his lap. She ran her fingers through his wild hair as he rested his head in her lap.

"Love you," she whispered in his ear. "Love ya'," he said back. Madison finished making dinner and they sat down to eat. "Who taught ya' how to cook, cause yer' damn good at it." He commented. "I watched my mom, she taught me some things, and the rest I learned my trial and error." Daryl nodded. "Ya' like to cook?" He asked. "I don't mind it. It's fun." She noted and took a bite of chili.

Daryl started getting for work after dinner. He slipped his protective vest on, then his black t-shirt. The guard even gave him a belt to wear, it held a flashlight, taser, and a gun. But he wouldn't get the gun or taser until he got to the station. They took a day to train him in both incase things went south. Daryl prayed that would never happen.

"You want a packed lunch to take?" Madison asked walking into the bedroom. "Nah, good. I'll eat when I get home." He said checking his outfit. "You sure?" She asked. "Yeah, I'm good doll,"

Daryl had an hour and a half to relax before he had to leave for work. Madison wasn't looking forward to his departure. She hated being alone in this house when Daryl was gone. She would let Daryl's dog Max in, but he wasn't very talkative. Daryl and Madison spent their free time talking, kissing, and playing around with each other. When it was time for Daryl to go, Madison got up and hugged him tight. "I'll see ya' tonight." He said and kissed her lips. "Okay, be careful. I love you." "Love ya' too."

Madison watched Daryl pull out of the driveway and head off to work. She turned around and went back inside to cry. She hated the night shift.

*****

💖Comment & Vote!

Thanks ~ InSearchOfFlames 🔥🔥🔥