1

"Skyler! Get your ass down here!" Dad called up to me. God, I hate that guy.

I took my time getting down the stairs and to the living room.

"What is this?!" He shouted to me, pointing to the arm chair.

"A chair?" I asked.

"No, smart ass. What's on it?"

"A blanket?"

"What's it doing there?"

"Waiting to be used?" That earned me a slap across the face. I held my ground, not flinching as my check stung where he slapped it.

"Where does it go, bitch!"

"Up in," your ass, "closet." If I said 'up your ass,' this could have gotten worse.

"Be useful and do that!"

I took the stupid little blanket off the chair and up the stairs with me.

I hated it when dad got that way. He's almost drunk every night. He treats me like shit when he's drunk, but treats mom like a queen when he's wasted.

Instead of putting the blanket in the closet, I took it in my room with me.

I took my phone out of my dresser drawer and called Mattie.

"Hey, girly!" Mattie answered on the second ring.

"I need to get out of the house," I told her.

"Your dad like that again?"

"Yeah." Mattie was one of my three friends who knows what goes down in my house.

"I'm going to the mall with Hanna, Britney, and Amber."

"No thanks."

She started laughing. "How about you go get David and go to the skate park?"

"But David's boring and a sexist pig," I whined.

"Now, don't let David hear that," Mattie warned me.

"I don't care what that jerk hears."

"Is Andrew out?"

"Yeah, with is girlfriend, Katerina."

"What a bummer."

"Well, I guess I'll just go to the skate park by myself."

"Don't let your dad know."

"You know I won't. I got to go. Bye!"

"Bye!" And I hung up.

I looked at my pjs, a big tee shirt and shorts. I think I'll be fine.

I grabbed my keys, phone, gum, hat, and a bag. I throw all of those in the bag, taking a piece of gum to chew on.

I made sure that I took my all black hat. My first hat that I bought when my parents left me for a week when I was ten. Talk about responsible parents.

"Where are you going?" Jake asked me. Jake is my older brother by a few minutes.

He looks nothing like me and a lot like dad. Short, smooth, shinny jet black hair, green eyes with blue flacks in them, pale skin, and a thin body. All the girls are in love with him.

I look nothing like dad and only have mom's hair. I'm like the black sheep in the family. I have long, semi-wavy blonde hair, orange-red eyes with some green around the iris, olive skin, red-pink lips, and my body is one of those where it's neither fat or skinny.

"Somewhere away from here," I answered him.

"Can I come with?" I could see hope in his eyes. He hates it when dad treats me like shit. For some reason, he is dad's favorite child. Though, I bet he is the son he always wanted.

"Sure."

Jake followed me out of the house, taking the back door. We snuck into the shed, where we keep our skateboards. I took my first skateboard that I had to sneak  in the house, and Jake took his second longboard that dad gave him. Sometimes I wish that I got the same respect as Jake did.

"I knew you were going to go here," Jake said as we got to the park.

"Of course I was going to go here. It's way better than being at home, that's for sure."

"Are you ok?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I heard dad yell at you."

"I've had worse."

"I know, but still."

*Flashback*

"You little shit!" Dad yelled to me.

"What did I do?" I barley asked, tears running down my ten year old face.

"You little bitch bought a skateboard, didn't you. You piece of shit!" His hand hit my face so hard, that I hit the floor.

Mom was at work and Jake was at his friends house. I never got to have friends back then, since word got round that I was a weird kid that no one wants to get to know.

My tears kept coming. "Get up, you little slut! We're did you even get the money?!"

I got up, but didn't answer him, being too scared to even say a word.

This time his beer bottles hit my skull, glass going everywhere. Pain shot through my body. The world started to spin, and then I passed out, but not before I heard my dad say, "no one even loves you, you little bitch. You don't belong on the face of the earth. I never wanted a daughter like you."

The next time I woke up, I was in a hospital bed.

*End of flashback*

"Let's just skate," I told him, going over to the ramps.

"Sky! I have to go to a friends!"

"Fine! Go then!" I honestly didn't care if he left or not. I was in the mood of breaking something, but skating is the next best thing without hurting someone or something.

I didn't even make sure that he left until I got down one of the big steep ramps and started to go towards a smaller one.

That's when I ran into him.