Ch. 16: Relax

Mary began visiting my house every weekend. Axl was happy with the money we were now receiving from her, and I was simply happy just to be around her. She was like a breath of fresh air, and I was pleased that the rest of my band appeared to think so too.

If I was out, Izzy or Slash were always happy to play guitar with her and show her a few tricks until I got home. Steven would often try to drag her off to eat snacks and smoke weed, which she would gracefully decline if I was there to keep her company. Hell, even Axl was amazed by her vocal range and took the liberty of singing duets with her a number of times.

I was surprised that everyone was on their best behavior around her. No one tried to cop a feel or take her out on a date. I think we all sensed the aura that surrounded Mary, the vibe that she wasn't just any ordinary slut that we could bang one night only to forget about her the next. There was a sense of finality to Mary's visits. A sense that she was family, a close friend, and she was here to stay.

Today, it was just Mary and I in the loft. Which was a moment that I always savored and held onto, hoping it could somehow last forever, but knowing that it never could. Still, I continuously tried to make the most of our time together.

I always managed to coerce her into singing, even if she wanted to mainly focus on guitar that day. I just couldn't help myself. Her singing was unlike anything I'd ever experienced, from the strongest drug to my crippling anxiety, Mary's voice topped it all when it came to the sensations that took over me. Nothing could compare.

Unfortunately, I had to run to the bathroom about halfway through a song she had just finished composing and had decided to sing for me. I held the piss in like a child, too excited to leave the fun he was having to stop and go to the bathroom. Unlike a child, however, I was too old to be pissing my pants, especially in front of hot girls. I reluctantly excused myself and slipped out of the room and down the hall.

When I returned, I was surprised to see Mary had moved from her spot playing guitar on the floor to the seat behind Steven's beat-up drum set. She hit the tom drum and the snare a few times, a strange scowl on her face that told me she was concentrating really hard. I couldn't help but laugh at her.

"What's so funny?" She demanded, her question was harsh but a soft smile crept across her face.

"Looks like it's giving you problems," I nodded to the drums that she was so desperately trying to figure out.

"I'd like to see you do better, Bass Boy," she teased.

"You really wanna' challenge a bass player on another instrument that involves rhythm?" I quirked an eye brow.

She blushed slightly when she realized her mistake. "So, you do know how to play the drums?"

I nodded smugly. I knew something Mary didn't know! For once, I had the upper hand. I was cooler than she was...kind of. Sort of. Okay, not really.

"I played drums for a few bands before Axl and the guys found me," I informed her with a grin. "One of them was called The Fartz. With a 'z'."

She raised her eyes brows as if this news was interesting, and yet the rest of her face told me that she was extremely bored by this news.

"Classy and original," she commented blandly. "The band that time forgot?"

I pretended to be offended. "Hey! We made an album. We were good!"

"Yeah, yeah," she shooed away my reply with a wave of her drumstick. "You gonna' teach me to play these, or what?"

I folded my arms over my chest, giving her a doubtful look. The drums weren't an instrument most girls gravitated towards. Then again, Mary wasn't most girls.