Ch: 9: Duffy-Bear

I was sitting on the stone steps leading up to the school, a cigarette smoldering between my fingers. All the while, I kept imagining what Mary might say to me if she saw me right now. Probably some snarky remark about how stone can't catch fire, and she would sarcastically applaud me on being smart-"for once".

I guess I would know soon enough. After all, the reason I was even sitting out here like a bum was because I had gotten done with work about a half an hour ago and was now waiting for Mary to get out of choir practice. Today was the first official day that would kick off future jam sessions to come, and I had smuggled Izzy's acoustic guitar into the janitor's closet, along with my own guitar.

I wasn't sure whether or not Mary knew how to play, or if she even wanted to play with me instead of just sing, so I figured I'd bring both guitars just in case. I knew Izzy wouldn't mind. He'd be pissed for maybe five minutes before getting over it and listening to some reggae and playing the drums.

Just as I flicked the cigarette butt off onto the sidewalk, the large oak doors behind me creaked open. Stocking clad legs shuffled out of the building as an army of school girls walked by. They giggled amongst each other, occasionally stealing glances at me. Some even said hi. But what really caught me off guard was when a pair of thin, tan legs stopped just in front of me.

My eyes travelled along her body, taking in every inch that they could until I had finally made eye contact with who else but the blonde girl I had seen before in Mary's choir group.

Her body was just as tight up close as it had looked far away, but her face definitely wasn't as pretty as I'd originally thought. I mean, sure she was hot, but you could tell that a lot of it was thanks to the make up she had caked all over her face. She reminded me of plenty of the girls that the band and I would bring home to get high with and fuck in the loft. Girls like her were a dime a dozen.

She had a pleased smirk on her face, probably from recognizing the fact that I had been checking her out only moments before. She shifted her weight onto one foot in order to strike a sassy little pose. I had to say, it wasn't doing much for me.

Her friends were giggling to one another not too far behind her. I gave each of them a bored look before grabbing out another cigarette.

"Hey," her voice came out breathless and weak. Was she trying to be sexy right now, or was she choking on her gum? I couldn't tell.

"S'up," I muttered, blowing smoke up into the air between us.

I leaned back onto my elbows, until I was completely sprawled out on the stairs. The granite steps dug into my back but, after the work I'd done today, it actually felt good and only proved to stretch my muscles.

The girl's eyes gazed down on my body, a ravenous look in them. I had no clue why she seemed to have such a sudden fascination with me, but it was kind of weird and super creepy. Maybe it was because she was so much younger than I and, unlike Mary, she actually acted like it.

"What are you doing here? School's been over," the girl reminded me with a giggle.

"I'm the janitor," I murmured softly, flicking ashes from my cig. "I gotta' stay after hours most days."

She smirked. "I'm sorry you have so much work to do. Is it because we're so...dirty?"

Her tone of voice told me that she was definitely insinuating something. Her question completely caught me off guard, as did the wink she gave me as she spoke. I began to choke and hack on the smoke in my lungs, causing her and her friends to erupt with laughter.