Ch. 10: Mary Is A Punk Rocker

Disclaimer: I don't own the lyrics used.

Mary followed me to the janitor's closet, where we grabbed both of the guitars before heading deeper into the school. I had expected that we would be going somewhere a little more private for our sessions, especially further away from the school and any prying teachers' eyes. But Mary insisted that she had the perfect place for us to perform. A place that was well hidden and had the proper acoustics.

Still fairly unfamiliar with the school and all too eager to hear her sing again, I took her word for it and followed her through the twists and turns of the halls without much hesitation. It was only when we reached an especially dark corridor that I began to feel uneasy.

This hallway was one that I had made a point of avoiding whenever I was out mopping or sweeping. This area of the school was positively ancient, and was the only part that had remained standing when the school had caught on fire in its infancy.

I was certain that ghosts of janitors past still lurked in the shadows of this part of the school, and I in no way wanted to be their next victim. I had seen plenty of horror movies with Slash, and I had learned from the characters' mistakes: don't be alone in a creepy, dark hallway with your guard down.

My mind began to wander to the fact that the teenaged couple who ended up alone and having sex in shadowy places also ended up being one of the first victims. I sadly debated on whether this was a sign that Mary and I should keep things PG while back here.

"Duff!" Mary's voice was a hiss that echoed in the solitude.

The sound pulled me from my thoughts, but not quick enough to stop me from bumping into her. We both lurched at the impact.

"What? Why'd you stop?" I demanded, grabbing her arm so that she wouldn't topple over. I was so much bigger than she was, and I had nearly sent her flying.

"I need your keys," she instructed, holding out her open palm.

"Why?"

She gave me no response, but instead wiggled her fingers at me for emphasis. Heaving a sigh, I began digging into my pockets in search of the ring of keys I'd been given during my first day on the job.

Once I had successfully fished them out, I immediately slapped them into her hand. She smiled softly before turning towards the wall and beginning to sift through the keys.

It was only then that I realized that the wall behind her was not in fact a wall, but a door. It was at the very end of the hallway, shrouded in darkness and cut off from the rest of the school.

I hadn't even noticed it any of the times I had walked passed the hall, and it made me wonder how Mary even knew it was down here in the first place. Even stranger, how did she know what lay behind it?

"What's back there?" I inquired, watching her pick up a key only to drop it and move onto the next one.

"The old bell tower," she answered almost immediately.

I frowned. "How do you know that?"

She shrugged. "I used to dabble in lock picking. I just forgot to bring a bobby pin today. You having keys makes this a lot easier, although it ruins half of the fun."

I raised my eye brows as I watched her fiddle with the lock, finally settling on a key that she must have felt was the perfect fit.

Let's review: she wears skirts and stockings, she sings like an angel, she thinks breaking and entering is fun, and she's not afraid to be murdered by ghosts when she goes down spooky hallways by herself. This girl was just becoming more and more perfect every time I spoke to her.