don't hurt her (46)

I open the cupboard and take out a glass before filling it with water. I take it back to Ella who's in the living room with mom. The moment we reached here, I called mom and told her everything that happened. She immediately came back.

When I walk in they're both sitting on the couch with mom's arm around Ella and she's leaning into her. I hand her the glass of water, saying.

"I'll go check on Rose and Leo."

Mom nods her head as I leave and walk to my room. Rose is on the bed and Leo's leaning over her making funny faces. These are making Rose smile. I sit down next to Leo.

"Is mommy alright?" He asks, turning to face me, his face serious all of a sudden.

I sigh and pull him onto my lap. "She's alright."

"Really?" He asks, playing with his hands.

"Mmhmm." I nod my head. "Are you having fun with Rose?"

He eagerly nods his head. "Yes, but can't she speak?"

I laugh at this. "No, Leo. She's a baby. Babies can't talk."

"Does Rose have a little brother?" He asks, looking at me.

This drains all the happiness from my body, making my smile droop. I close my eyes for a brief second to gather my thoughts and they reply.

"No. Why do you ask?"

"Mommy said I'm going to have a little brother or sister!" He tells me happily, smiling at me.

"What?" I whisper, shocked.

He just looks at me for a moment before scrambling off my lap and to Rose again. Then he resumes his duty of making weird faces and making her smile.

I leave the children and go back to the living room where Ella's now talking to mom.

"Leo just said something." Then I quickly add. "Unintentionally, of course."

"What?" Mom asks on Ella's behalf while she herself looks at me.

"He..." I sigh and then get to the question. "Are you pregnant?"

"What?" Mom asks surprised and then turns to look at Ella.

More tears are streaming down her cheeks again, confirming the fact.

"Oh Ella!" I say, softly before sitting down on her other side and wrapping my arms around her as she sobs into my shoulder.

After a few minutes once she's sobered down and stopped crying, she explains.

"It's the middle of my second month. We both were just so happy about adding another member to our family but...but he...did what he did." She explains, resting her elbows on her knees and covering her face with her hands.

Mom rubs her back for a moment and then says. "I'm going to go get some groceries, okay?"

"Alright. Maybe you should take Leo with you just to get his mind off things." I say.

"Right. Leo!" She calls out, bringing him running to us.

------------------------------------------------------

William

The driver stops the car outside her mother's house and then opens the door for me. I step out and straighten my coat before walking up to the front door and knocking.

A minute passes before Ella opens the door.

"Hi." She mumbles.

"Hey. How are you?" I ask her, following her in after closing the door.