eat your vegetables (17)

"I'm going to head outside and talk to the guards on duty." William tells me as we leave the dining room after breakfast.

William is going to stay at the palace today and run a check on all the men employed and I'm supposed to do the same for all the females.

"Okay. See you later then." With this I head towards the kitchens.

I walk in through the doors to find all the housemaids there along with the female chefs and others who have some other jobs. I look around and am surprised to find Helen there too.

I walk over to her. "You didn't have to come. You should've just stayed in your office because I know that you have a lot to do."

"As a female employee in this palace you have to check me too." She tells me.

"But..." She cuts in. "I'm not leaving no matter how much work is pending."

I sigh and turn towards the others.

"As you all know someone, well actually a chef tried to poison the king. So, in order to restore safety we have to check each one of your backgrounds. Please come forth one by one and I'll talk to you. After your turn is over, you can head back to work."

Several housemaids come forth. Their lives sound pretty much the same as mine was when I became a housemaid. In between one or two chefs also come forward. They seem to be better doing than the others but not by much margin.

After a couple of hours I look down at the sheets of papers which have the names on them. There are three sheets of paper and I'm only done with one. I'm also feeling hungry.

"Everyone can take a break because I certainly need one. We'll resume in an hour."

I go to the living room where William is going through his lists. When I enter he looks up and sets down in papers on the table in front of him.

"Are you done?" I ask him as I sit down next to him.

"Yeah, pretty much just Harrison left but he isn't here yet." He replies.

This makes me realize something. "Annabelle wasn't there either."

I turn to look at him, only to see that he has a smirk on his face.

"What?" I ask.

"Just wondering if they had a..."Fun" night." He says.

I get what he means and groan. "That you for putting that image in my head!"

"Look, why else would both of them be missing at the same time? Do you have a better explanation than me?" He nudges me.

I try to come up with something to defend the two of them. "No." We both start laughing and by the time we stop I have my head on his shoulder with his arms wrapped around me. One of my hands lies protectively over my stomach.

All of a sudden I blurt out. "I'm starving."

He kisses my head. "You should be. What do you want?"

"Pasta." I mumble against his shoulder.

He sighs. "I know that you're craving pasta but you need to take all nutrients including proteins. So, I'm going to ask someone to get you some beef steak and grilled vegetables, okay?"

I nod my head slightly disappointed that I won't be getting pasta but delighted but the simple fact that I'll be getting something to eat.

In a matter of minutes my food arrives and I eat while William tries to get Harrison to pick up his phone. I'm playing with the peas when he sets down his phone.

"I've called him twenty times and left six messages. Why aren't you eating your vegetables?"

"I don't want to." I state like Leo would have in a childish voice.

"You don't want to. But you have to. Now eat them." He scolds me like a mother would.

Grudgingly, I put some on my fork and put them in my mouth. I chew quickly so that the lesser the flavor the better. Once I finish William says. "We should get back to work."

I nod as we both get up. He pulls me into his arms and holds me close.

"You know what?" He asks all of a sudden.

"What?" I ask.

"I can't thank God enough for last night. You were alone with that chef and he could've hurt you. I can't explain how grateful I am that you aren't hurt."

He kisses my forehead and then goes on his way and I go mine.

Third recommendation by dattheojamesbooty. The song is "No Control" by One Direction. That's two songs by 1D and three in all. More would be appreciated.

Thank you so much for the 11.5K reads! :)

Read, Vote & Comment!

P.S. I know that it's chapter seventeen and there's been hardly any excitement in the story but I promise that things will get interesting, just give it some time :)