going back (1)

I settle into my seat and look out of the window at the runway which is full of people. Some are guards, others are crew of the plane and then last of all are some officials who came to meet my husband, whom I've been married to for two weeks now.

I feel something vibrate and reach into my purse to pull out my phone. It's a text from Anna.

"When will you guys get back?"

I quickly type in a reply.

"We're about to take off in a couple of minutes. I guess we'll be back in Canberra by dinner, tonight."

I switch off my phone and go back to looking out of the window. After a couple of minutes the place starts to clear and William sits down next to me, talking on his phone.

His call has just ended that a man appears from the front, wearing a headset. "Sir, we're ready to go."

William nods. "Okay."

Just as he leaves another man appears. "Can I do anything to make this journey more comfortable, your highnesses?"

William shakes his head and then looks at me which knocks sense into me. "Oh! No, I'm good. Thank you." With this he leaves.

Getting the royal treatment for the first couple of days of our honeymoon felt weird to me but now I feel more comfortable even though sometimes I forget that I'm the one being addressed but still I've made progress.

"We're finally going back." I say out loud.

He sighs and takes my hand. "I'm happy though I wish that we could've spent some more time together because once we get back it's just going to be go, go, go."

I smile at him and am about to reply when we're asked to get ready for take off. Before I know it we're in the air and heading back to the palace.

"I need water." I tell him, as I move towards the mini fridge at the back.

"Can you get me a Diet Coke?" He calls after me.

I take what I need and start to make my way back when I happen to look out of one of the windows. The view is magnificent. We're still flying over the ocean but I can see land far away in the distance.

"This is amazing." I think to myself.

"What's amazing?" William asks, walking over.

Oops! "The view." I reply.

He wraps his arms around waist and I lean back into him as we look out. "Where's my Coke?" He asks all of a sudden.

I hold it out to him. I open my own bottle and take a sip but at that very moment he opens his bottle and due to the gas built up it sprays out in every direction, drenching him in coke.

I burst out laughing as he tries to screw back the lid but it keeps coming out and after a few seconds half the drink is spilled on the floor and a Coke soaked William is standing holding the bottle.

I walk over to him, careful to not touch his shirt and kiss his cheek. "You feel equally good soaked in Coke."

He shakes his head at me and says. "I'm going to go change since I do not want anyone official to see me in this state. Can you get that man to clean this?"

I agree to do so as he goes into the bathroom with a new shirt. Instead of ringing the bell like I was instructed to, I grab a couple of paper towels and mop it all up. I'm about to throw it into the dustbin when William walks back in and see me.

"You didn't have to do that." He tells me as I dispose them off.

"It was nothing I couldn't manage." I reply.