CHAPTER 3 (PART 1) - UNKNOWN

Start from the beginning

Tritteon had the nerve to comment. "At least the rug is thick."

I managed to turn my head enough to glare at him, still leaning against the wall, smirking.

"How much longer is this supposed to last?" I demanded.

"Until I have deemed you unworthy of my attention," he said, still grinning.

I thought back to how the old man, Pharro, had told me to hold still or I would break whatever magic he had used to numb my pain. "So, this isn't some magic thing that wears off at some point?"

He tilted his head curiously, amused by whatever I had said. "It is not a magic thing," he said in a mocking tone. "It is a technology thing."

I fisted my hands in the rug. "What is its actual purpose, other than to humiliate me?"

That mocking grin. "Is that not enough?"

"That's not funny."

He tilted his head in a sarcastic bow. "Of course." He rubbed his bristly chin with his thumb. "I will admit, for a moment, I believed you had it. Few individuals are able to move as much as you have while wearing that particular brand of Neutralizer."

Wearing. I scanned what I could see of myself but saw nothing.

"It is on the back of your neck." He cleared his throat when I reached back. "I would not advise that. You will receive a very sharp shock. It can only be touched and deactivated by those whose fingerprints are programmed into it—mine, my Sponsor's, and Lord Gonreem's."

I lowered my hand reluctantly. I didn't really want to find out the hard way if he was telling the truth.

"So, what is its purpose then?" I said through my teeth. "And don't just say it neutralizes."

His grin widened. He pushed off from the wall with his elbow and every inch of me seized up as he strode toward me. He pointed at something to my right and before I had time to look, one of the stone chairs flew toward him, landing five feet in front of me.

He did have magic like the old man! Did that mean he was human? Or was the old man not human either?

My heart thudded painfully, and I gripped the rug beneath me as he passed the chair and kept coming toward me. I tried to move, tried to get up so I could feel like defending myself was an option, but the ice had settled into my knees again, locking them up. I wouldn't have time to break through it.

I closed my eyes and balled my fists, ready to swing.

Above me, Tritteon chuckled, deep and unnerving. I peeked upward. He was eyeing my closed fists. "Were you planning to fight me with your eyes closed?"

I didn't relax my hands and I refused to reply.

He folded his arms. "It should reassure you to know I was given strict orders not to harm you in any way. You do not need to fear me at this time."

I didn't miss the 'at this time' there at the end. "Is that what he said into your ear before he left? Before your eyes turned black?"

"Yes." He held his hand out toward me.

I blinked. "What are you doing?"

"I am helping you back onto the bed." When I continued to stare at him, he sighed, one brow raised, looking bored. "Do you wish to converse at my feet?"

My face must have given away my disgust at that because he chuckled.

"That is what I thought."

I blew out a shaky breath and took his hand. Compared to the iciness of my skin, his was blistering, his touch thawing my fingers on contact. I gripped him tighter, almost desperately, the rest of me silently pleading for the same contact, and I could've sworn I felt a powerful hum coursing through his palm as he helped me back onto shaky legs.