15: We Almost Kissed

[ Zoe's POV ]

I was exhausted by the time we reached home. I just wanted to hit the hay. Caspar and Joe had to go back to London tomorrow noon, so it was their last night here. I just hope both Caspar and I can handle a long-distance relationship. I mean, it is only a half and hour drive away.

I walked to the room Caspar was sleeping in. He was folding his clothes, then placing them neatly into his suitcase. This was rare. Normally he would chuck everything in. He saw me creepily watching him at the door and gestured for me to come in.

"Hey." He says as I sat on his bed.

"Do you need any help?" I offer and he shakes his head.

"I'm almost done anyway." He replies, folding his last shirt and placing it into his suitcase. He zips it up and puts his bag by the door. Then, he sits next to me and held my hand. He was about to say something but before he could, I spoke.

"Caspar, thank you. Thank you so much for doing all of this. I really appreciate everything you've done ever since we met in that very little cafe." I say as a tear trickled down my cheek.

"It's fine, Zoe. You're welcome." He smiles wiping the tear. "I'm sorry that I have to go."

"No Caspar. You don't have to be sorry. You have to go back. You can't stay here just because of me." I reply, shaking my head.

"I know but it's our first day together and I already have to go." He replies, starting to tear. His eyes were red and sore. I stared into his eyes and he stared into mine. I didn't know what to expect next.

Oh of course you did, Zoe. Don't act stupid.

I sat still. Waiting for it to happen. A hug or something more? He leaned in and so did I but just as we were a centimetre apart, the door swung open.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," Joe pulls a disgusted face. "But my phone's gone. Missing, just like that." I shifted away from Caspar and stood up. I look towards him.

"We'll continue later." I mouth and he smiles. 

"What do you mean it's gone?" I rush out of the room with Joe.

"I came home and it wasn't in my pocket. It disappeared. I don't know where it is." He whines and all of a sudden, he pulls me into a spare bedroom, looks out and closes the door.

"Did you and Caspar..." He asks and pulls another weird face.

"No Joe, we didn't." I roll my eyes. "We just talked. We were about to till YOU came barging in." I playfully nudged him in the shoulder.

"Oh then, great. It still feels weird." He shrugs. "My best friend dating my sister."

"Was that all this was about?" I laugh. "Telling me you lost your phone just so could ask me this question?"

"No, about my phone. It's serious. I don't know where it is. I must have left it at the restaurant." He replies, walking back and forth then out of the spare bedroom.

"Did you find it, buddy?" Caspar shouts from the stairs.

"No, I must have left it at the restaurant," Joe shouts back. "I'm going to get it."

"I'll follow you." Caspar says running down the stairs with a different shirt on.

As soon as their Uber arrived, they rushed to the mall.

"Ugh, what was all that noise about?" Louise appears, rubbing her eyes.

"Joe left his phone at the restaurant. Hey, where's Darcy?" I ask. Darcy hasn't been here for the past few days and I've just noticed.

"Oh, I left her at my mother's house so we could spend more time together." She replies. "Anyway, I'm heading to sleep. Night." She yawns and disappears back into her room.

I went back up go mine and pondered about that little moment Caspar and I shared. It's still so surreal to think that Caspar and I are dating. Never would I have thought I'd date Caspar.

At that moment, my phone rang. Hopefully, it was Joe telling me he found his phone. Instead, to my surprise, it was Alfie.

What the hell does he want? Should I answer it? I'm already dating Caspar. But I still want to know what this asshole has to say. I mean, he never officially told me we were done but we're seeing other people now.

Whatever, nothing can go wrong from answering a phone call from my ex.

I pressed the answer button and I hear his heavy breathing from the other line.

"Zoe?" His voice trembles. I stay quiet. "Please don't hang up. You don't have to say anything. Just let me say what I want to say. I'm sorry. Sorry for everything I've done. I shouldn't have shouted at you in the first place. You've probably seen the pictures of Gabi and I. It's f-fake. I never liked her. I did it to make you jealous. I never wanted to date her. Um, I never wanted to l-lose you." He stutters and for the first time in a while, I feel sorry for him. "I love you, Zoe. Please come back to me. I miss you so much. Please forgive me. Okay, Zoe?" I hung up right at that moment and burst into tears. 

No. No, Alfie, you can't do this. I'm already with Caspar. I can't fall for you again, Alf. I already love Caspar. I can't love two people at once.

✄ ✄ ✄

I'm currently listening to depressing love songs and I keep thinking about my crush. I'm just in such a romantic mood at the moment, what the hell? Also, on a more important note, I've been getting a few comments about Zalfie. Spoiler - No, they aren't getting back together. Lol, you should read till the end of the story before making assumptions. Okay, now I'm gonna hide my salty ass.

[ by harper gray ]

[ updated : april 24th 2017 ]