Chapter 11: Late night

"I'd better go home. Bella can't occupy herself all night. And I've got to prepare for work on Monday."
  Jack furrowed his brow. "Where do you work?"
  "At the little café a few blocks away from here. It's nice and small, and most people there are regulars."
  "Cool! Maybe I'll drop by sometime and bug you." Jack muttered, smirking.
  "Goodnight!" I said.
  Jack's eyes lit up, like he remembered something. "Wait! Can I see your phone real quick?"
  "Um...sure." I agreed, handing it over.
  He quickly typed something in and fooled around with some application on the device before swiftly handing it back to me suspiciously.
  "Thanks..." I said unsurely.
  "Night!" Jack said happily, a huge toothy grin on his face.
  "Bye!" I smiled back, stepping out of the doorway and walking back to my house.
  "Bella, what are you doing?"
  The little girl was standing on the sofa, air-guitaring to B.Y.O.B  by System of a Down.
  When she saw me laughing, she immediately hopped off the couch and hurried to turn off the music.
  I chuckled. "You know the words?"
  She nodded.
  I slid on my knees toward the lounge. "KNEELING ROSES DISAPPEARING INTO MOSES' DRY MOUTH!"
  A faint Irish voice shouted from across the plot of land, "BREAKING INTO FORT KNOX STEALING OUR INTENTIONS!"
  Bella burst out laughing.
  "C'mon, kid, it's nearly midnight, you gotta go to bed sometime."
  "But I'm not tired!" Bella whined.
  "Shut up and put this on." I said, throwing an old T-shirt at her face.
  "But...don't I get pants?"
  "You're like four feet tall, it's a nightgown."
Bella sighed, marching off to the bathroom to change.
I pulled out my phone, unlocking it.
Wait...trying to unlock it, and failing.
"Wrong passcode"
Jack, I thought.
I sighed. "J-a-c-k"
"Wrong passcode, 2 more attempts"
"J-a-c-k i-s c-o-o-l"
"Wrong passcode, 1 more attempt"
Ugh, what would it be?
I thought for a second. I guess it was worth a shot.
"S-n-a-c-k"
My phone opened up to reveal a huge green eyeball as my background.
"Damnit Jack, you little prick." I muttered.
I sighed, checking emails. Spam, spam, spam, prince of Nigeria, spam, spam, spam.
I set the phone down on the counter next to my bed and went to check in Bella.
"Hey, you get stuck?"
Bella glared at me. She was wearing my old Rage Against the Machine t-shirt, which went down just below her knees.
"Go on, in bed."
Bella stood there, not moving a muscle.
"Now." I lowered my voice. "I will not hesitate to bring you to the nearest orphanage if I find the child I've brought into my home is disrespectful. They would teach you respect."
Bella ran into the guest room of the house, or her room for right now, like something was chasing her down.
"P-please don't send me to the orphanage, I promise I'll be g-good, and I won't get in trouble, I swear!" Bella pleaded.
"I'm only kidding, love. I'm not taking you to an orphanage. But, other punishments await you when you cross me. I might not be your mother, but you're in my house, so you will do what I tell you. Do we have an understanding?"
Bella nodded quickly.
"And the same goes when you go over to Jack's house while I'm at work for a few hours. I'll walk you over and back, but when you're there, you listen to him."
"I got it." Bella said, nodding again.
"Good. Good night, Bella." I said, tucking in the comforter around her body.
As I was walking through the doorway, she piped up. "Snow, can I ask you something?"
"Of course. Shoot." I said.
"Well...are you and Jack going to get married someday?" she asked.
I chuckled, glad my back was to her as I felt my face light on fire.
"I don't know. Why don't you ask him on Monday. That'd throw him for a loop. I don't know if we'll get married, kid. Maybe someday, I guess."
"Good, you two are cute together!" Bella agreed cheerily.
"Thanks. Now get some sleep. Goodnight."
"Night." Bella said, yawning.
I laughed, and closed the door behind me as I walked out. Once I did, I covered my face with my hands and had no idea if I wanted to burst out laughing or scream. I groaned. Kids.
  I changed quickly into pajamas, got a brisk shower and hopped into bed.
  After tossing and turning for nearly half an hour, a loud noise erupted from my phone.
  After unlocking it, I saw a text message:
  Hey, you still awake? :P
  I furrowed my brow in confusion, looking up at the ID of the person who texted me.  "Jackypoo 😍😍😍"
  I sighed.
  Screw you, dude. XD
Ten seconds later, I got a response.
  J: What?? What did precious lil Jackaboy do???
  S: You know exactly what you did, Jackypoo.
  J: haha, yeah..sorry about that :(
  S: oh, it's fine. Can I ask what the green eye thing was about, though?
  J: :O you don't know!?
  S: enlighten me
  J: it's widdle Sam! Sam septiceye!
  S: Um, can you elaborate?
  J: when I was a kid, I got hit in the eye with a soccer ball and my eye got infected, so everyone called me Jack Septic Eye! I just thought of it when I made my YouTube. All the people that watch my videos made Sam who he is now. He has a name, a face. He's even a cute plushie!! ^_^
  S: yeah, an eyeball dripping with green slime. Adorable.
  J: HE IS ADORABLE!!!
  S: ok, jeezums. O.O
  J: lol, but um...can I ask you something weird?
  S: I'm all about weird, bro. Shoot me.
  J: WHY WOULD I SHOOT YOU
  S: no I mean ask me the question dumbass XD
  J: oh. Well, you know how you kept seeing someone? When we first met, you were paranoid about that guy, and when we went looking for Bella, you changed your mind about going solo.
  S: ...yeah...?
  J: well, is the guy tall? And kinda muscular, but not too bulky?
  S: Many people fit that description.
  J: Not many people that fit that description PEER THROUGH YOUR FUCKING WINDOW
  S: WHAT!?
  J: I might have enough energy that it looks like I'm on crack, but I'm not in drugs, swearsies. There was this shadow thing at my window, and when I went to go check it out, it was gone.
  S: stop fucking with me, you're creeping me out Jack.
  J: I'm telling the truth! He was just kind of there!
  S: You're scaring me.
  J: I'm sorry. But I promised I wouldn't let anyone try to hurt you.
  S: and I promised the same for you. So..what do we do about it?
  J: I don't think the police will get involved when there's no evidence, and the guy should be in jail. There's something incredibly suspicious going on.
  S: Agreed. But, there's not really anything we can do about it right now, so I guess we just try and watch our backs the best we can.
  J: ok, I guess. Don't get murdered at work, please. ;_; that would be sad.
  S:That would kind of put a damper on things, wouldn't it?
  J: Just a little, yeah.
  S: I'll try not to do that, then.
  I heard a cry come from a few rooms down.
  S: I'll be right back
  I rushed into the guest room to find Bella cradled on the bed, curled up into a ball.
  "...Nightmare?" I asked, knowing the answer.
  She nodded, her form trembling.
  I walked over and sat next to her. "What did you see?"
  She pulled her head out of her knees and felt her shoulder. The one that was shot.
  "Something I don't want to see again." she replied vaguely.
  I frowned. "Are you ok to try to go back to sleep?" I said.
  Bella nodded, suddenly gripping my shirt.
  My back stiffened in surprise for a moment before I wrapped my arms around the small girl.
  "Just try to go back to bed, kid." I muttered.
  "Ok." she said meekly.
  I released her and walked back into my own bedroom.
  J: What's wrong?
  S: Bella had a bad dream.
  J: Oh. Poor thing's probably traumatized.
  S: Probably. I asked her what the dream was about, and she just said it was something she didn't want to see again.
  J: she didn't want to tell you?
  S: I guess not. Haha aren't you going to sleep? It's nearly one in the morning.
  J: SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!
  S: well ok then. .-.
  J: :D
  S: I'm actually going to try to go to bed now :p
  J: DON'T LEAVE MEEEEEEEEE
  S: Then you go to bed too. If we sleep at the same time, maybe we'll have a joint dream with Sams and stuff ^_^
  J: :O YAY
  S: XD just go to bed, Jack.
  J: :3 fine.
  S: Goodnight.
  J: Night!

  I turned off my phone and plugged it in on my bedside counter to charge for the rest of the night.
  Laying in bed, I smiled at the thought of a dream filled with little Sams.

  (Hey guys, I think I'll stop it there, and I hope you enjoyed this chapter of Do You Trust Me? I think the writer's block has worn off by this time, and I've got another chapter of Guardians in the works, so that's a thing.
  Some of you may be annoyed with the texting format in this chapter, but I kind of like it! So anyway, I'll see you guys next chapter.   Buh-bye, guys.    ~Light)