Chapter 4: Nightmares.

Someone was shaking my shoulders violently. "Come on, dear, we've got to go." a woman's worried voice said quietly.

I opened my eyes, to be met with large, forest green ones.

I carefully stood up, and looked at the woman more closely. She had a curvy figure, but she was very short, like me. Her brown hair was tied up in a messy bun, and her beautiful face was taut with stress, deep lines running across her forehead. I remembered her face, whether I wanted to or not. I could recognize it anywhere.

"M-Mom?" I asked, my voice high, like a little girl's. Confused, I looked down. I wore a frilly pink dress with white stockings and black dress shoes. It was the same outfit I had worn on my eighth birthday.

"Your father is coming, Snow. We have to go now." my mother urged, her voice starting to quiver.

"Is...is Daddy drunk again?" I asked cautiously.

Mom didn't answer. She never did when I would ask her.

The front door burst open. "Hey Angela, I'm home, baaaabe......" a deep voice slurred.

"Snow," my mother said, kneeling in front of me. Her hands rested on my small shoulders. "Grab your backpack. It's filled with everything you'll need. Go out the back door; your father won't see you then."

"But...where am I gonna go?" I asked.

Angela Black was silent for a moment, her green eyes piercing through me like a spear. "I don't know, sweetie. That's for you to decide." she said, as her eyes started to tear up. "I love you so much. You're going to make someone very happy someday." she whispered. She knew I didn't have much time before my father would burst through my door and.....God knows what.

"I love you too, Mom." I said, hugging her tight.

My mother was on the brink of tears. "You'll be ok, honey. You're so special, one of a kind, and the world will know that someday. You're my little snowflake, but you will never melt."

Those words had rung through my head for the past fifteen years like a bullet hitting a bell.

I nodded, kissing her in the cheek. I shrugged my backpack over my shoulders. It was heavy with food and water bottles and such, but I could bear it.

"Please be safe, Mom." I muttered. She smiled sadly, saying nothing. A tear escaped her eye, and ran down her cheek.

I took a deep breath, backing towards the back door, which led out into the woods.

"Aaaangela....you know I don't like it when you hide from me, babe..." my father was getting irritated.

My mother's face constricted with fear. "Go now. You'll be ok."

I nodded quickly, hoping she was right, but I was more worried for her safety than for my own.

I bolted out the back door and darted through countless oak trees until I could no longer see my home through them.

I turned around to face the old wooden house, out of breath.

I stood there, frozen, for what seemed like forever, until I heard it.

Two gunshots.

I covered my mouth with my hand and sunk to my knees in despair. I held my head in my hands and sobbed.

I was an orphan. All alone, a little lost snowflake, gone astray. At least, that's what everyone always said when they found out I was orphaned.

I felt a tapping on my back. I reluctantly stood up, wiped my eyes, turned around, and froze again. It was the man with the knife from the alley. The man who tried to take Bella. This time, he had a gun pointed at my small head.