Chapter Two

"Wow.." was all that the police officer could say.

"You two should be honorary policemen..." he started, then glanced over at me. "and women."

"So, he's going to jail?" the man who helped me asked. I still didn't know his name.

"Oh, yeah. Three witnesses, and a shit-load of evidence. I mean, not really, but yeah, he's going to the big house soon enough." the policeman said hastily.

I nodded. "So....we can leave? Or do we have to go to a court hearing now or something?"

The trooper chuckled. "No, I don't think there's any room for argument on the fact that this guy's guilty. This isn't the first time he's been in the slammer. Shoplifting, and he's tried to take kids before."

I looked over at the guy in the car with disgust. He met my eyes, and a crazy, almost insane smile spread across his lips. He lifted his handcuffs up to his chest, and slipped his index finger across the base of his throat.

I gasped slightly, subconsciously holding a hand to my neck.

The police officer didn't really seem to notice, or care. The man who I had now accepted as anonymous for the rest of my life was staring at me. He looked slightly....worried.

I rubbed my throat and placed my hands back in the pockets of my warm jacket. The hug of the faux fur comforted me slightly, but I was still on edge. Great, I thought, sighing inwardly. Let the paranoia begin...

I glanced down at my watch. It read half five in the afternoon.

"Good. I'll, um, be going then." I said. I wanted to get as far away from the car as possible.

Mr. Anonymous nodded and walked off in the same direction my house was in. I was kind of new here, so maybe he lived nearby. I began walking behind him. For a minute or two, we walked in silence.

"Don't worry about that guy." he said. I looked at him. "How?"

He shrugged slightly. "He doesn't know where you live. He can't track you down."

That made me feel a little bit safer, for some reason. Maybe I was just blowing this out of proportion.

"What's your name, anyway? I never got to ask while you were beating on the guy." he said with a slight chuckle.

"I was going to ask you the same thing!" I said, laughing also. "Uh, It's..." I paused. Would he laugh at my name, tease me like all the others?

"Yes? It's alright, if you don't want to tell me. I understand." the man said softly. He was kind. And he was different, not only because he was kind, but for another reason. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I didn't think he would tease me.

"My name is Snow." I said, at almost a whisper, but loud enough so that he could catch it.

"Snow? Like Snow White? I-"

I looked down, and bit my lip, as my cheeks flushed red from embarrassment. After a moment, that embarrassment turned to anger. I was sick and tired of people teasing me.

"No. Last I checked, I don't live in the middle of the woods with dwarves. Last I checked, I didn't have perfect ivory black hair, and gorgeous rosy red cheeks, or a bright, beautiful smile!" I snapped.

The man was silent. I had been too harsh. I immediately felt guilty. "I'm sorry. I just don't like being teased about my name. I know that's not an excuse, though." I mumbled.

"Don't be so hard on yourself. But you didn't let me finish. I was going to say I've never heard that name before, and I like it." he said quietly. I looked up to my right, and he was next to me.

"Really? Thank you. So then, what's your name? I've already kind of accepted you as having no identity at this point, so I'd like to put a name to the face of the person who helped me."

The man smiled. He didn't have the most perfectly aligned smile, or the whitest, but it was genuine, and it was bright.

I looked up again, this time in front of me, and I saw my house in front of me. Then I saw the house next to it, about an acre or so away.

The man was about to say his name, I'm assuming, but I cut him off. "Do you live there?"

He looked at me, and laughed. He had a sweet laugh. It was light, and pure. I liked it. "Yeah, I do. So I guess now I really don't have an excuse not to introduce myself!" he said.

"Well, get on with it then! Don't keep me in suspense!" I said.

He smiled his bright smile again. "The name's Sean. You can call me Jack."

And with that, we said goodbye and goodnight as we went into our homes.

That night, I lied in my bed, in boxer shorts and a baggy tee, thinking about him. I kept telling myself I was just tired, and I tried telling myself that this guy was just fresh new stimuli, and my brain was just stuck on him because I had only met him hours ago. I kept telling myself to just try to block him out, like I did everyone else, regardless of whether it was "healthy" or not.

But I couldn't. I couldn't get his face, and his smile, his laugh, out of my head. I couldn't get Jack out of my head.

(Thanks again for reading "Do You Trust Me?", I will most certainly try to keep updating within the next few days, but if it comes in a week, don't blame me, blame my stupid brain and stupid writer's block! Alright, that's all for now, so I'll see you guys in the next chapter. Thanks so much from the bottom, top, middle, and everywhere else in my heart for these reads, btw. Alright, peace out.)