I gave them a disgusted look and folded my arms. If I’m lucky, I won’t meet her. More pack members arrived and after ten minutes of waiting everyone was there and after everyone said their greetings and wished me a happy birthday I began the meeting.

“Where’s Leah?” I asked her twin brother Blake, as I noticed that she wasn’t here.

“She’s sick man or that’s what she said.” Typical Leah to pretend she’s sick not to get out of her bed. 

“Well anyways, as you all know today I turn twenty-one, which means I’m officially Alpha. We all have to be very careful from now on, because Vampires can now sense us, we must always be on our grad and have each other’s back. The last tribe that didn’t ended up dead.” I waited as my words sank in and I was sure that everyone’s thoughts went to their parents.

“Let’s take a minute and give our thoughts to them…” I never got to finish my sentence because Leah rudely interrupted as she joined the meeting.

“Sorry I’m late. Someone didn’t bother waking me up.” She gave a pointed look to her brother and I turned to stare at the pair. 

“Leah you’re sixteen…” This time it wasn’t a loud interruption that stopped me mid-sentence but Leah. I felt her heartbeat in my ears: a steady drum beat slowly playing, getting louder with each second taking over every other sound. Her chocolate brown eyes seemed to take over my whole existence and I felt an urging need to touch her, protect her and be with in every way possible to both man and wolf.

 It’s her. My wolf screamed in joy.

Too bad. I told him. I regained my posture and looking into her eyes, I knew that she knew. I passed her a private message, through our new established bond.

Don’t say anything, we’ll talk later.

I looked to the rest of the pack and everyone was staring at Leah and I. I needed to avert attention fast to something else before everyone made the connection at the exchange Leah and I just shared.

“Moving on. As I was saying we need to be extra careful from now on, because vampires can now take our scent. So we’ll be practicing harder and keeping better watch at our territory. Every one of you will have shifts and it will be very important that you keep to the schedule I have placed in our Berserker Home. This also means that you now can join me at the wolf home set up by our ancestors if you wish. I recommend it as it will be easier to connect with each other.” And I’ll finally have company. I added to myself.

“Also I have decided that my second in command, my Beta will be Jason. That means if he tells you come, you come, if he tells go, you go. Any questions?”

Mark raised his hand.

“Yeah?”

“What about you’re mate?”

I gave a smirk. “What about my mate? As you can see I haven’t found her yet.”

Don’t say anything. I directed to Leah with my Alpha voice through our connection.

  *****************************************************************************************************************

I was now doing everything in my power to avoid Leah. I wasn’t ready for the confrontation. It was especially hard to stay away from her when every sense I had was directing and demanding I find her. This wasn’t going to be easy. How was I supposed to tell her I didn’t want us to be mates? More importantly, what were my reasons going to be? I knew Leah, she wouldn’t take no for an answer. She was probably mad at me for denying that I found my mate in front of all the pack, I sensed it in the morning. I decided to keep my answer, whatever it was going to be, as honest and direct as possible. 

I returned my thoughts to the pretty blonde standing in front of me. She was basically asking for me to take her right then, right here. Her skimpy clothes left little to imagination and the alcohol in my system was making her appealing. I was sick of her talking and frankly I wanted to get down to business. So I gave her a smile that I knew she couldn’t resist and leaned close, slowly breathing down her neck.

“Wanna get out of here?” I whispered. I smelt the lust off of her as she slowly nodded. Too easy. I grabbed her hand and took her to a private room at whoever’s party's house. All the while, my wolf was complaining and growling at me. The alcohol seemed to do little to shut him up tonight.

Listen, I’m sorry but Leah and I aren’t going to be together no matter what, so save your breath. I told him.

 *****************************************************************************************************************

After the deed was done, I pulled my clothes back on and gave the blonde a small peck on her lips and promised her I would call her, even though I knew I wouldn’t. For a moment there I forgot about Leah, but the whole thing didn’t feel right. It felt wrong and suddenly I felt dirty and very, very guilty. Damn mate!

I was no longer in partying mood so I made my way to my house. I could see that most of the pack had moved in, including Leah. I would have to confront her tomorrow. There’s no avoiding it any longer.