Chapter Twelve - Bes

~Niall's POV~

I sit my head in my hand, mirroring Harry's current pose. Louis and Ana have been going at it for 20 minutes. Zayn is still sitting beside me and picking at his food. I glance around the room for the 100th time, waiting for them to stop fighting about this.

Another 10 minutes pass before Chantell is standing up and screaming about how she doesn't like the screaming. That just makes everything louder than it was. I turn to Harry. I want to talk to him so bad.. but I'm pretty sure he's still mad at me. He frowns at me and looks at me from the corner of his eye. I'm about to say something when something goes crashing to the ground. I jump in my seat and Zayn stands up beside me with a livid expression his his face. They just broke the housewarming gift he had given them, a 30 thousand dollar vase. 1 out of only 10.

They ignore Zayn as he joins the screaming fit. Harry looks like he's ready to get up and leave. I don't blame him. My eyes widen as Louis goes to push Ana, who tumbles into Chantell. She steps right on the broken vase. Madonna comes out of no where, launching herself into the air and barking madly, biting at Louis' leg. I don't know if I should laugh or not. He screams out as she actually chomps down on his shin.

Harry bolts up to pry the dog from his leg. She thrashes around, growling madly at Louis. No one is yelling anymore. The blood is slowly seeping through his jeans. Ana is trying to help Chantell get the glass from her foot, but pauses to speak.

"It's final. We're getting another dog." She snarls, looking dead at Louis as Harry is trying to move him to sit. I stare at the blood stain on his jeans mutely. Zayn rubs his hand down his face and walks over to me. I smile weakly at him. He taps his temple and I nod back. He leaves the room to go find his bag holding my medicine.

---------------------------

    A few hours later, I find myself lazily following Chantell and Ana around the pet store. Chantell insisted I went with them. I was too tired to fight her about it, so I just tagged along. They finally stop cooing over the cats and we walk over to the door that contains pure happiness on the other side. It's a huge room where all the dogs and puppies can run around. I bite the inside of my cheek as Ana swings the door open. Some of the puppies stop playing to stumble towards us.

I start screaming in joy. Chantell joins me until Ana slaps us both on the back of our heads. I dive into the middle of the room, pulling puppies left and right against my chest.

"I'm sorry for them," Ana tells the attendant who entered the room due to our screaming. "We're actually here for a guard dog. Preferably full sized and trained...?"

"Sometimes it can be hard to get dogs like that adapted to a home setting, so we don't have many for adoption..but I can definitely show you the few adult dogs we have. If you don't find what you're looking for I can recommend a few good places." The girl smiles brightly. She's lead out of the room all together. Chantell sighs beside me and I hand her a wiggling puppy.

None of the dogs here end up working out. I almost burst into tears when Ana tells me that. I pet the puppies until the last minute. The attendant recommended one of the local shelters. We decide on a no kill one. I lean my head back against the seat of her car, closing my eyes for a few seconds.

I jolt awake when Chantell opens my door almost causing me tumble from the car. I glare at her and slide down until my feet hit the ground. There's only a few more hours until we have to leave to her mothers house, Ana told me earlier. We make our way into the shelter and I find myself staring at a black dog. It's sitting alert in front of the cage door they have them in.