Hope

When i woke up the next day I forgot that Ian had never had the pleasure of meeting Joey. Since we take turns visiting each other, today was my day to visit him in the Children's wing. I say up to see Ian was not in the room but instead a piece of paper which read

"Dear Rhiver

Gone to get you something special. Will be back to see that pretty little face of yours soon.

Xoxo

I smiled and kissed the piece of paper as i placed it on the night stand. I quickly got in my chair and wheeled off to Joey
---------

"So whats your favorite color?" Joey asked propping himself up on his pillow.

"Grey. What about you?" I replied leaning on my hand rest of the chair.

"I like green. Because green is the color of my pet lizard Howell." He grinned showing me a picture of the lizard. I looked at the spiny bearded thing and laughed because Howell was a ridiculous name for a lizard.

"Do you have any pets?" He asked.

"No. But I always wanted a puppy." I sighed.

"Mama says when I get out of chemo I get to have my own real puppy! And i also get to name it!" He cheered.

"What do you think your going to name it?"

"Maybe Bob or if its a girl Rhiver!" He smiled.

"You would name a puppy after me?"

"Sure! And when you can walk again you can come and visit him!" He grinned and held my hand.

I really didn't know what to say so I just smiled back. This special little boy gave me hope. Even when he is going through this horrible and deadly disease his body his filled with hope. And maybe that's what keeps you from ending it all. Hope.

We said goodbye and made out seperate ways to our rooms. I promised to come back after he had his breakfast to which he made me cross my heart and hope to die which actually sounds very grim now that i think of it...

------------------------------

Ian's POV

I decided that since im such an amazing guy i would bring Rhiver some treats. She was complaining before about how the hospital food tasted like shit so I decided to surprise her.

On my way to the hospital I picked up some coffee and sweets.

"Are these for your girlfriend?" The girl at the candy counter said. She was obviously flirting but I didn't care. She was cute but not my type.

"Soon to be girlfriend." I sneered and gave her my change. Her face expression changed and she handed me my bag.

"Thanks." I said as I walked out the door and went on my way.

--------------------

"Good morning." I said coming into Rhiver's hospital room. She was wearing her green army muscle tank and her high wasted ripped jean shorts with the studs on them. Her hair was high up in a messy bun and she looked absolutely gorgeous.

"Did you bring any coffee?" She said eyeing me.

"No hello Ian? How was your morning?" I teased.

"Hello Ian! How was your morning?"

"It was fantastic thank you." I grinned and handed her a hot coffee. She opened the lid and looked inside the cup.

"Don't worry I told the lady no half and half."

"Good." She smiled and pecked me on the lips. She frowned as she looked up at the clock.

"Iv got to go!" She said making her way towards the end of the bed.

"Whats the rush? I just got here!"

"Im uh meeting someone!" She said bringing out her hands for me to help her on to her wheel chair.

"Who?!" I said raising an eyebrow.

"A friend."

"But I brought candy!" I whined and held out the bag.

"Perfect!" She squealed and snatched the brown paper sack out right out of my hand. She looked up and sighed.

"Well what are you waiting for, you are coming too." She said waving me over and wheeled her self around me. I smiled and walked with her, placing my hand around the bar of the chair.

-----------------

We made it all the way to the children's wing in a matter of 2 minutes. I had to keep myself occupied so i asked a bunch of annoying questions. I knew Rhiver hated that an i wanted to get a rise out of her.

"One last question!" I said taunting her.

"Ian..." She said clenching her jaw.

"I promise its a good one." I pleaded walking in front of her.

"Ok talk."

"Will you come out to dinner with me?" I said kneeling down. Her eyes became wide and she looked startled for a second but then shook her head.

"No..."

"Why?"

"Im not going out looking like this." She said peering down at her legs.

"Why not? Your beautiful." I said lifting her chin. She bit her lip and turned away, rolling her chair into the children's wing. She left me kneeling by myself on the hospital floor. I caught up with her as she tried to open the door to a brightly colored room.

-------------------

Rhiver's POV

I was definitely NOT going to dinner looking like this. In this big metal spaceship contraption. Im handicapped!

My therapist said my self esteem has gone down the drain since the accident. I just don't want people staring and whispering "that poor handicapped girl." Or "here let me hold the door open for you trooper." It just makes me super uncomfortable.

I wheeled around the room searching for Joey. The room was always empty which made it much easier for me and Joey to bond. I don't really like kids but Joey was different. He had opinions and ideas that a normal kid wouldn't have. It was like I was talking to a mini me in boy form if that makes any sense.

"Rhiver!" I heard someone say behind me.

I turned my chair around and saw Joey hooked up to his oxygen tank reading a book.

"Hey there kiddo! What are you reading?" I said wheeling up to him and letting myself fall onto the colored beanbags.

"A book about a kangaroo who loses his hat. But I don't really like it."

"Why not? It looks like a funny book to me."

"Well sure its funny but kangaroos don't talk in real life!" He said slamming the book shut and picking up a new one.

"Well books don't always have to be realistic. Books can be about anything! Like...a purple gorilla who can't tie his shoes! Stuff like that."

He looked up from his book and grinned.

"But this is the real world Rhiver. There are no purple gorillas and they certainly cannot tie shoes. They don't even wear shoes!" He snickered.

I scanned his face and he seemed to be getting sicker and sicker by the day. His eyes were dark and grey and they didnt have that shine that they used to have when I first met him. And his skin was a sickly white color along with the splotches of purple around his bald head. The breathing tube made tiny squeaks as he sucked in air which made the ambiance more dreadful.

"So this is your friend?" Ian said taking a seat next to me.

"Nice to meet you im Joey!" He said blankly and held out his hand to shake.

"Im Ian." He replied taking the small boys hand and shaking it warmly.

---------------------

We all talked a bit and colored which is probably Joeys favorite thing to do which is why he was a whole folder full of paintings and crayon colored papers. But then he had to go in for chemo again and we all said goodbye.

"That was fun!" Ian said enthusiastically.

"Yeah..." I moaned.

"Whats wrong?" He said stopping the chair. He turned me around and placed his knee on the foot rest.

"You know he's not going to have much longer..." I placed my head in my hand.

"I shouldn't have gotten too close with him. Im just making it harder on myself."

"Don't say that."

"Well it's true!" I shouted making the seemingly quiet hospital now silent.

"You just need hope." He said placing a hand on my head, rubbing it in soothing circles.

There is was again. That four letter h word. Hope.

I pushed his hand off and glared at him. He just dosnt understand how hard this is for me. He just met the kid!

"Your making it so god damn hard to help you Rhiver." He said placing both hands on the arm rests of the chair and getting real close to my face. I could feel his body heat and smell his minty breath. I tried to tell my body not to give into his hotness but I ended up just blushing like an idiot.

"I don't need help. Im a strong independent girl." I said but i still blushed as he got closer.

"No need to get all red in the face Rhi." He laughed. I glared again and purposely ran over his foot with my chair.

"Ow!" He sneered and started to chase after me.

You know its alot harder to run away from someone in a wheelchair. Your arms get tired and sore and its literally an upper body workout.

"You're slowing down!" He yelled behind me. I giggled and pumped my arms as hard as i could. I could tell he was catching up to me because i could hear the patting of his sneakers on the tile.

I panicked and tried to turn into the next hallway but ended up turning too fast and tipping my chair. I tumbled on to the ground hitting my tailbone.

"Smooth." I groaned.

" Shit, Rhiver!" I heard Ian yell. He sprinted towards me and kneeled down, picking my upper body up into his lap.

"This was a bad idea! Are you hurt?" He said pushing strands of hair out of my face.

"Im fine." I said pushing myself up from his lap. I grimaced as my butt hit the bottom seat of the chair.

He kissed my forehead and let out a sigh.

"No more rough housing." He said placing his head in the crevice between my neck and shoulder.

"Now you have to go to dinner with me."

"No." I said sternly.

"Why not?"

"Because im not comfortable looking like this!" I said motioning towards the chair.

"Looking like what!? Looking like you! You didn't change Rhiver! Its the same you but in a chair!" He said standing up.

"I don't want people to laugh at me." I blinked back a couple of tears and stared at my feet. My stupid feet that won't work.

"Come here." He said picking my chin up with his pointer finger.

"You are a beautiful person inside and out. The chair is blurred once people see you because all they can look at is a gorgeous face and body. Then once they get to see that smile the chair disappears and all they see is Rhiver."

We were silent for a bit but then finally i said...

"So where are we dining at."