Chapter 13- [Strength of the Mind]

Start from the beginning

Kiaryna pulled her arm away and let out an angry breath. "Please, humor me. Why are you defending your sister now? After abandoning her years before and not caring about her since?"

Master Red was surprised by her words, but kept the calm on his face. "I'm not defending her. I simply heard that you were unnerved about losing a ring so I came to investigate. I never found you to be someone who cared so deeply of such earthly possessions."

"What do you take me for, Vilaryn? A fool?" Lady Kiaryna asked, her face returning to her usual calm. "I know you came here to protect your little sister. And what that tells me is that she does know where the ring is," she turned her head to Am. "Don't you?"

Am shrugged.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Master Red started as he grabbed a hold of Am's arm. "But if you'll excuse me, the King has been wanting to see Am for some time."

He pulled Am and they both left before their mother could say anything.

Lady Kiaryna watched as they walked off, a glare on her face.

She figured that Am was telling the truth... at least of the fact that she did not have the ring.

But if Am didn't have the ring, Lady Kiaryna knew that it was because she had given it to someone.

And there was only one person who she could think of who Am would give that ring too.

When Master Red and Am had gotten a safe distance away, he spun her around and glared at her. "Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

Am pulled her arm away. "I didn't need your help, Red," she said angrily. "If anything, you made it worse."

Master Red ignored that. "Are you going to tell me what you're doing or not?"

"No," she said, firmly. "It's none of your business."

"Our mother is going to rip you apart."

"Trust me," Am said. "I'm not afraid of her. If I was I would have been ripped apart years ago."

Master Red stared at her with annoyance in his eyes.

"Now what's this you said about Avaryn wanting to see me?" Am asked. "What does he need of me?"

Master Red let out a breath before grabbing her arm again and dragging her towards where his student was.

Avaryn was in his office as he often was these days. If he wasn't in the throne room making decisions with the court then he was in his office, making decisions on his own.

He was a little surprised when Master Red barged in without a word. That was unlike him.

But he was more surprised to see Ameryna.

"I need your help," Master Red said without hesitating as he let go of Am's arm.

Avaryn raised an eyebrow as he stood up. "What's wrong?"

"She is to stay here with you from this day forth," Master Red said. "You need to protect her."

Ameryna scoffed loudly. "Excuse me? I don't need to be protected!"

Master Red ignored her. "She's keeping something from us in regards to that ring which your fiancée has stuck on her finger." He said, trying to reel Avaryn into agreeing to protect her.