I had never felt April so needy before. But I couldn't blame her. I, too, felt a longing for him to return. Even though I knew he wouldn't be gone long, the mere seconds he was away seemed like ages. I never knew the mate bond was this strong. It was nothing like Elijah's and mine's interaction.

I turned to look at the large window. The blinds were opened slightly so I could see the storm outside. The heavy rain was pounding the ground. My eyes widened as I made out the naked trees swaying in the wind. My eyebrow raised as confusion bubbled inside. It was just summer. The trees were just full of leaves. My thoughts were interrupted when a young-looking brunette woman entered the room. She held a brown clipboard tight to her chest. She couldn't have been much older than my sister.

Behind her was Cane. However, his toothy grin was gone entirely. Instead, his face was flat and expressionless.

She let Cane pass in front of her, and he returned quickly beside me to my right.

"Hello, miss, my name is Kayla," She introduced herself, giving me a small smile. "I'm one of the nurses for our pack; I'm just going to ask you a few questions. Is that alright?"

I nodded. "No problem."

"Thank you." Kayla shut the door behind her and walked toward the edge of the bed. Then, standing across from me, she reached into the front pocket of her dark blue scrubs and pulled out a thin pair of purple glasses.

"Okay, here we go," she began, "what's your name?"

"Bianca Marie North," I answered, watching as she scribbled my answer onto a clipboard paper.

"Age."

"I'm twenty," I replied.

Through my peripheral vision, I saw Cane's eyes widen.

Turing my head slightly towards him, I could see his raised eyebrows. "Please, don't tell me your secretly like forty or something." I half-joked.

His face fell, clearly not amused; he squinted his eyes, "I'm not. I'm only four years older." He snorted

"Alright then, don't stare at me like a weirdo. I'm not a child...creep." He rolled his eyes, making me laugh; it felt so good. I turned back at Kayla, who was watching the both of us, an amused look on her face,

"Umm, your birthday, please."

"May twenty-first."

She nodded and continued, "Pack name?"

I hesitated at first before replying. Then, "I was born into the WestMoon Pack." I hoped she wouldn't ask any questions about my pack. I was not ready to fully explain anything further that had happened with my, technically previously, pack,

Kayla nodded and then proceeded to look at Cane.

"We should contact her pack and let them know where she is and that it is safe."

"No." I blurted out. It was like word vomit spilling from my mouth uncontrollably.

Cane looked at me, obviously confused. I didn't want to tell him what had happened before I left, at least not yet, and I was afraid for my family back home. "I would like to call my parents first, please. I want them to get the news first before the alpha." I mumbled nervously.

"They last heard from me was days ago. They must be incredibly worried right now."

The room fell into a dead silence. The only sound that could be heard was the storm continuing to blow outside the window. Kayla quickly looked down at her clipboard and began writing—the sound of the tip of the ink pen breaking and silence.