CLIMAX - PART 1

Rahul and Meera were sitting outside one of the chambers in the NSA's office. After what Rahul had told her on the phone about the aliens and all the happenings on the island, a horrid chain of events had followed.

That call had been quickly diverted to their boss, who as all the bosses had to be, hadn't believed any of it. But they had still succeeded to bring the boss over to the office on a holiday.

There, at the research center, Rahul had shown the whole clip that he had captured in his camera. The looks on the faces of both, their boss and Meera, were the ones of absolute astonishment.

The reluctant boss had then flown into action, making several calls at the same time to the various concerned department. It was hard to keep a track of how many calls had gone to and fro in that office; but towards the end of the day, progress was definitely seen.

It still amused Rahul, that the whole day had passed on and they had just got past their boss yet. Oh! It didn't just amuse him, but it annoyed him.

On that very night, a meeting was arranged with the director of their research institute. The reactions were same with the director as well. Reluctant at first, that something like this could happen; and then, believing enough of it (not all of it), to get into action.

But it was good for Rahul because the time taken to convince the director was considerably less. And time was the one commodity that was very important at that moment. Not just for him; but for Aditi as well.

Rahul was extremely worried about Aditi. It had been three days now since he had left the island, and he didn't even know if she was safe.

Just stay alive, Aditi, just stay alive! We are coming for you.

The director had himself made some calls, and finally, they had nailed a meeting with someone who could actually take some action regarding it. The National Security Advisor (NSA) of the country. It was scheduled in the morning on the next day and they were asked to travel all the way to the capital for that.

As exciting as the night was, it was really awkward for both Rahul and Meera. After that whole month of avoiding the communication between them; they had been suddenly thrown into the mix. The night had kept them a little busy, but that trip to the capital had provided some decent time to finally break the ice. A small talk had commenced, but none of them had dared to touch the controversial topic of their break-up.

After all that, here they were sitting outside the office, in complete silence now. They had watched their boss and director walk into the room, followed by half a dozen other people dressed in the army uniforms, a couple of bureaucrats and finally the NSA himself.

Almost two hours had passed since the meeting had started and it was still going on. What took them so long to take a decision was out of the mind for Rahul. He was just starting to get lost in his thoughts when that door to the room opened and the horde marched out.

A sense of urgency was seen in all of them. They all came out and walked past the duo as if they were just not there. The last one out of the room was their boss, and even he seemed to be walking away.

They both darted to their feet's at the sight of this and almost ran to catch-up with their boss. When they both finally came up with him, both of them blurted out in unison.

"What happened?"

"It's all decided. They are going to go for a full fledged military operation and take out everything on that island." The boss replied, still walking at a nasty pace.

"What? Are they gonna take out everything? But boss, Aditi's still on the island. They have got to save her first." Rahul said insolently.

The boss turned to face him.

"Do you think I am not concerned for her? Do you think I didn't bring the topic up in the meeting?"

The ferocity could be seen n his eyes. But at the same moment, one could also see a sense of defeat in those eyes. He kept a hand on Rahul's shoulder; and said.

"I'm sorry, son, but it's not in our hands now. There's nothing we can do."

With this, he walked off leaving behind a dejected Rahul with Meera.

Meera was a mere spectator during the whole conversation. When the boss left, she saw Rahul sitting right there on the floor with his head in his hands. She can feel the aura coming out of Rahul. It wasn't something which she would relate to love, but it was the feeling when you care for someone. And Rahul did care for Aditi.

She stood there watching him for some time, thought of something, and made up her mind to go ahead with her decision. She got down on her knees and took Rahul's face in her hands.

Those eyes looked at her in the same way as they had when they had met the first time.

"Rahul, I think I can help. No, no, not really me. But I know someone who can." She said.

Rahul considered it for sometime. After a short pause, he asked, "who?"

Meera would have wanted nothing else than avoid this question, especially in front of Rahul. But there wasn't any option now. She had to tell.

"My husband..."

What! She's married? Rahul couldn't believe his own ears. He was tempted to have a good duel with her right there but then he thought that it can certainly wait. There was a matter of more importance on hand at the moment.

As it happened, Meera's husband turned out to be someone having a good political influence. With his help, they were able to get in contact with Major Sharma, the second-in-command for the evening's operation.

It had allowed them to hitch a ride, and they were now sitting on an army boat bounded towards the island. Also, to the utter surprise of Rahul, and, to the anger of her husband, Meera had decided to accompany him. 

***

So finally Meera plays her role in the story.

But, is it too late for Rahul to get back?