CHAPTER 03

'tik...tik...tik...tik...'

Aditi woke up to this irritating noise. But her body protested and those eye-lids closed again.

She was drifting into sleep when she heard it again.

'tik...tik...tik...tik...'

She woke up again, stunned. Her head felt heavy, there was a severe pain there. And that noise was going up her nerves.

There it was again.

'tik...tik...tik...tik...'

She craned her neck in the direction of the sound. She saw a bird hitting the window with its beak.

Silly bird, she thought

Wait, a window? Where am I?

Then it all came back to her.

The U.F.O, the red devil, her running and getting knocked down.

She looked around, but everything was dark. She again looked at the window, there was a faint light outside.

It must be dawn, she thought.

Another surge of pain shot through her head. She wanted to hold it desperately, but somehow she couldn't move her hands.

Both her hands and legs were tied with a rope.
She got afraid that the aliens captured her and now will be experimenting on her.

No Aditi, this is not the time to panic. Come on, think of something.

She wriggled herself in a vain effort to become free. The rope didn't even budge a little. Her energy levels were falling down.

With all that was left, she shouted. But no sound came out of her mouth. There was a gag to refrain that.

She hated such situations when nothing was in her hands. All she could do was lie there and wait for the enemy to make a move.

She kept staring at the window. Slowly the sun was coming up throwing light on the surroundings. The world outside was being illuminated, and so was the shack in which she lay.

Finally, when there was enough light for her eyes to see, she slowly turned her head, scanning the area.

She was looking for something to help her, but when her eyes focused on the opposite corner, they got fixed there.

Horror struck her face and fear crept through her body. She doubled her efforts to get free from the ropes. But it was all in vain again. 

There in the opposite corner, was the worst nightmare she had imagined.

The red devil!

It seemed as if it was sleeping peacefully, not moving a muscle.

Last evening, she just had a glimpse of it before she ran. Now, she was having a good look at it.

To her utter surprise, it didn't look frightening at all.

It was red but short. Incredibly short, in fact. She was a little over five feet, and it didn't seem that much as well. Might be just around four.

It had a pair of hands and a couple of legs just like her. There were no nails though.

She then looked at its face. It wasn't round, but it wasn't flat as well. But the big difference was, it had three eyes. All were shut hopefully. 

The three eyes were all in a straight line, on the curve of the face. But apart from eyes, there was nothing on the face. No lips, no nose, and no ears. Instead, there were a couple of things on top of its head that looked like an antenna.

It didn't look scary at all. She felt so dumb, running from this the last evening. 

She chuckled thinking the name she had given it.

The red devil!

And suddenly, as if hearing her thoughts, it opened the eyes. All three of them at the same time.

And you were thinking it's not scary.

The terror in her mind rose, and again she started struggling against the ropes. Sliding away from it as much was possible, but not taking her eyes off it for even a second.

But, to her amazement, it still didn't move a muscle. It didn't make any effort to stop her struggle, or even to scare her. It just kept watching her.

That's when she noticed,

There are ropes around its hands and legs as well. It was also bound and captured. 

Only one thought came to her mind.

Who had captured the alien, and her as well?

***

So there's someone else on the island too.

Who could this be?