CHAPTER 07.2

A soft music was running in the background, as Meera sprawled on the couch, chatting on her laptop. She was glad for this break from work today. It had been a tiring week for her.

It all started last Monday when she got to her desk. She was in a jolly mood after spending the Sunday with her family. But it didn't take long to change the moods for her. Fate always ensured that for her. And the same thing happened again.

She was checking on the day's schedule on her computer when that email popped up. She opened it, but couldn't believe what she was reading. It was long email explaining why it was being done, but there was no need to go to the depth of it. The subject was enough, 'TRANSFER TO RESEARCH WING.'

It had been three years since she had joined the organization, and she knew better than to oppose such official decision. She had to take the transfer.

But God, why does it have to be the research wing.  She shouted over the noise of the music.

She was not upset that she had been transferred, but she was more afraid that she had been transferred there. She was more afraid of facing him there. No, she was not ready to face him as of yet. Not after what she had done to him. But what else she could have done?

It was not your fault either, that was the best option at that moment. She assured herself.

But her mind was not to be pleased by this. It instantly hit the rewind button. The music and the chat were long forgotten as those memories started rolling in.

The trance was finally broken when her phone started ringing. It was that ringtone which the old landlines had. She got up from the couch and walked across the room. Her phone was lying under the wall mounted TV. By the time she reached there, it stopped ringing.

She picked up the phone and got back to her relaxed position on the couch. Once settled, she opened the call log, and just kept staring. For the second time this week, she couldn't believe what she was reading.

No Meera, you are just hallucinating. She told herself.

She shut off the display of the phone and gave her head a vigorous shake. Then again she opened the call log. But it hadn't changed a bit. It was showing the same name it showed some seconds earlier.

Rahul!

All her adrenaline rushed to her mind and it went into an overdrive. Innumerable questions made way to that tiny little space called the brain.

Why is he calling me?

What does he want?

But wait, wasn't he on an assignment?

When did he come back? It was still two days before he was scheduled to return.

So, is he calling me between his works?

But he never does that, then why now?

Before more questions could arise (none of which she had answers to), the phone rang again. She was holding the phone in her hand, and the vibrations startled her. It was him again. Her fingers didn't move an inch towards that accept icon. Instead, she just kept thinking.

This was so uncharacteristic of him. First, calling from his assignment; and then, calling repeatedly. He never did that before.

The phone went silent again and the display changed to a missed call. She just heaved a sigh of relief when the ringing started again. He didn't seem to be in a mood to let go today.

This time her fingers reacted instinctively and pressed that accept. She put the phone to her ears and listened. And for the third time now this week, she couldn't believe what she was listening.

***

Do you like Meera?

What has Rahul told her?