CHAPTER 09

"Captain, there seems something wrong on the Earth." The pilot called on.

The captain jolted to his feet to take a look what concerned his pilot. His whole crew was there on the deck, staring at the screen in front. He watched on the screen where the pilot was pointing. There was a red dot which was blinking on the screen.

"What is it, pilot?" he asked.

"It seems to one of our ship, captain." The pilot responded.

'But how's that even possible.' He thought.

He was personally present in the control room for the launch of all the three ships before them. He had seen them all take-off for their respective course.

The first to leave was the one bound for Pluto. The ones for Neptune and Uranus had followed a week later. And theirs was the final to leave Mercury, to land on Earth.

As far as he knew, there was no distress signal from any of the three ships. Then what was the meaning of this signal?

"What do you make of it?" he asked his warrior.

"Can't say anything for sure, captain. For them to land there on purpose seems a vague possibility. Can it be they were attacked?" the warrior responded.

"But, if something like that had happened, why didn't they send any distress signal?"

No one replied. None of them had any idea of that. They all waited for the captain to take a decision.

He stayed silent for some time, thinking of the ways in which they can counter this situation. After strolling around the deck for a long time, he finally got an idea.

"Pilot, maneuver the ship above that location and get the cameras to full zoom. We will take a look at what's happening there before going in."

Everyone on the deck nodded. The pilot got on his console and the rest paced restlessly.

They reached the desired spot and the live scenes from their ships camera were seen on the big screen. The scenes down there were terrifying.

There it was, one of their own ships. It was landed there in the middle of what the humans called an island. But, what was terrifying was the way things looked on that island.

The ship was not alone there. There were many other planes that were circling the island, and dropping the explosives every now and then.

Their ship did have its shield ON, and thus those explosives were not able to do any damage for now. But they all knew that the shield would not hold for eternity.

And that wasn't all either. There were vessels floating in the water and the shore was creeping with humans carrying those guns.

The ship's shield was good for now to hold all these things off.

Then they zoomed in on the ship.

The ship looked as if it had taken a hit before. But the damage didn't seem much though. There were questions though.

Why were they not flying and be out of it?

Why were they not using their own weapons?

Why didn't they send for help?

The answers to this lied only with their brothers down there.

They watched for their own brothers beside the ship, and all their eyes became wide. From the five of them that were supposed to be on the ship, two of them lay there on the ground, dead.

They recognized them instantly. One of the dead was an extractor, and the other, the pilot.

Well, this explains why they aren't flying off.

But the horror was yet to come. Amidst the three remaining Mercini's, there was a human as well. And to their utter surprise, the human looked to be helping them.'

"Okay team, I know it's a lot to process at the moment. There are many unanswered questions. But we have to take our people out of there." The captain said.

"Hold on there captain. That's not all. Take a look at this." Their pilot spoke up.

All eyes turned back to the screen.

It showed the view of the island again. That island on which they were to descend now was blooming with an active volcano. And the vibrations that the island was suffering due to the explosives of the humans had brought the volcano on the brink of eruption.

Captain took the final call and ordered his team.

"Arm the ship's weapons team, this is going to be the toughest mission so far."

***

The climax is coming up.

So, how do you think will it end?