i n h u m a n i t y

Start from the beginning

I was in the middle of reaching for the remote that toppled to the carpet below when Ashton's knock caused a grunt to leave my parted excuse for lips.

Without a reason, I continued to reach for the device. I made sure that my attempts remained silent, but Ashton always found a way to push out some justification for me to get up.

"Vegas, stop reaching for the remote silently. You know I can hear the couch, right?"

"Ashton, I'm coming.." I edged out, shifting my knitted socks to stomp to the door. Once it swung open, Ashton's figure stood in front of me with that deceitful grin of mockery.

"Now, we have the options of Anne Mao's or Lin's," She didn't even spare a thought of asking me for permission for her to occupy the plush couch in my apartment. "Which one? I personally prefer Anne's.."

"Anne's has terrible chow mein," I closed the door to its hinges, subconsciously securing the lock like a sixth sense. "Lin has better sweet and sour chicken."

"You always get that," She bickered, spreading her limbs while her fingers clutched the two menus in either opposing hands above her eyesight.

"That's because it is good, Ashton," I slouched to the horrible posture I usually assume, and stammered to drop onto the empty cushion in front of her bent knees.

"Ooh, Anne's has a coupon!" She exclaimed, broadcasting the corner of the crinkled menu. "With any order of 10 pounds, you get a carton of fried rice."

"Let me-"

There it was; an echo of my shallow heart serving as an reminder that he is not here. And, he does not want me. In an instant, my fingertips trembled like a frightening earthquake that holds the potential and power to destroy an entire city, and leave behind a deepened nightmare for the residents.

I, in this situation, complete the role of a resident and Harry, a rightful name for the perfectly structured earthquake.

Ashton must of noticed my silenced notion, because her shifting on the couch signaled her movement inching closer to me. I could feel her wandering eyes piercing through my cocoa skin.

"Stop," She eventually demanded, "Stop thinking of that bloody moron."

At first, I was surprised that she had guessed correctly, but I assumed the look was painted in bright, vibrant colors and shades across my expression.

"How do you know that I am?"

"Because I know, Vegas. So, stop," She sighed heavily, leaning her head against the back of the couch in defeat.

"It's hard, Ash," I sniffled, "To come to terms that he didn't feel a thing. He confessed his love the day before, then he suddenly does this? It all doesn't make sense..at all.."

"I admit you are right, but if he really loved you, wouldn't he be less of a fool?" Ashton shrugged her shoulders, then clutched her palm around my shivering hand. "Listen, we can get through this. As he said, he will be marrying that hideous woman and we just have to move on from him. Your love was a fantasy..and sooner or later, you have to..wake up."

She was right, and before she came, I failed to come to that conclusion. He doesn't really love me...

"I'm going to use the bathroom, but order the sweet and sour chicken from Anne's," I lifted from the couch, pointing to emphasize my need for the entree to be ordered. "Extra duck sauce, got it, Parks?"

The corners of her mouth pulled into a strong beam as I turned to ramble towards the hall bathroom. Alternatively, the strength of my knees faltered to a buckle, and the toilet seat served as my landing security.