Chapter 3

"This is it," Rosie said pointing ahead.   

There was a white gazebo, but the paint was pealing revealing the wood underneath. Green moss fell from the trees onto the ground. I could hear running water to reveal a small stream rushing into the large pond. Rosie stopped her bike jumping off and grabbed the picnic basket. I placed my bike next to Rosie's looking around.   

"You like?"  

"It's nice."  

"I love it. It's so relaxing and peaceful."

I walked around admiring my surroundings. It was nice. There serenity unlike I've ever experienced. A nice change.

"Hungry?"

I nodded my head joining her in the gazebo. I sat down on the opposite bench, so I was facing her. I kept my hood up hiding my curls. 

"I only made one sandwich, but we an split it. I have two waters. Some pretzels and grapes," Rosie smiled as we rummaged through the basket.   

"It's fine."

Rosie pulled the sandwich in half handing me a side. I accepted it taking it into my hands.   

"So Harry, tell me about yourself."  

What do I tell her? I hate myself and everyone else does too. I'm just a nobody and you're the first person in years to show any interest in me.   

"I like reading and skateboarding." I took a bite of the sandwich.   

"Really? I love reading! But, I have never skateboarded before."  

"You should try it's amazing."  

"Maybe I will."  

"So what about you Rosie?"  

"Well I'm part of many clubs at school and I love animals. I help out at the Humane Society."  

"That's really good," I told her taking the last bite of my sandwich. 

 "So we both like books. We have that in common."  

"We both have brown curly hair. Well your hair is more wavy."  

"I can barely see your hair with that hood on."  

I took in a large breath before removing my hood.   

"Nice curls," she smiled.  

"Thanks."

Rosie and I continued to talk. She did most of the talking actually. I just listened. It was nice. I enjoyed it. Something about her made I don't know, but it was different. She was always happy it seemed. She was always finding the upside to things. The silver lining. She told her a story of how her family was snowed in when they went skiing and the power went off. They made forts out of pillows and used their torches to make shadow puppets with their fingers.  Rosie then picked up a grape throwing it up into the air and catching it into her mouth. She did it again.   

"You wanna try?"  

"Sure."   

Rosie handed me two grapes. I threw one up successful catching it in my mouth. I repeated my previous actions succeeding again.

 "Catch," Rosie smiled throwing a grape at my face. I opened my mouth catching it. Rosie clapped for me. I gave her a slight nod. I stood up walking over and grabbed a few grapes.   

"My turn." I threw a grape towards her.   

We kept throwing grapes at each other always catching them in our mouthes. We had quite good time with the grapes. For those moments I forgot about all the pain and regret. All the yelling and teasing. All the bad. For the first time in years I found myself with a smile plastered across my face. A real smile.            

Please tell me what you think :)