38

( BEYOND THE GRAVE )

SUBURBAN STREET
[ ☼ ]

      Sam and Elena get out of a rental car. They make their way up a footpath, knocking on the door. It is opened by a middle-aged man. His son comes to stand beside him, around 6-7 yrs old.

      "Yeah?"

      "Hello sir, we're with the phone company?" Elena says.

      "We didn't call the phone company." The Man says.

      "Oh no sir, we're calling you. We've had a lot of complaints from the neighbourhood lately." Sam says.

      "Complaints?"

      "Yes sir. Dropped calls, static, maybe even strange voices on the other end of the line?" Sam asks.

      A teenage girls steps into the hallway while Sam is speaking, looking startled. "No, we haven't had any of that here." He says.

      "Nothing?" Elena asks.

      "No."

      "Okay. Great, just thought we'd check. Thanks." Sam says.

      "No problem." The Man turns to his son. "Come on, Simon."

      As they turn to close the door Sam sees the girl staring at him, looking scared. She turns away as the door closes. Sam stares after her. Sam returns to his car. As he opens the door the girl appears.

      "No way you work for the phone company." She says.

      "Sure we do." Sam says.

      The girl gives Sam a once over. "Since when does a phone guy drive a rental or wear a cheap suit?" She says.

      Sam huffs a laugh. "Yeah, well. Maybe we're both keeping secrets." He says.

      "Why did you ask my Dad if he's hearing strange voices on the phone?"

      "Why, did you hear something?" Elena asks.

      "No."

      "My mistake, I thought maybe you did." Sam says.

      "Well I didn't, okay?"

      Sam smiles. "Okay. Sorry to bother you." He says. The girl looks uncomfortable but doesn't move. Sam looks down at his keys. "Because you know...if you did...then I would have told you that I've been right where you're standing right now. Hearing things, even seeing things that can't be explained. Maybe I would have been able to help out a little bit. Anyway..." They start to leave.

      "Hey wait. Maybe...maybe I've been talking on the phone...with my Mom."

      "Well that's not so strange." Elena says.

      "She's dead. Like three years now."

      "How often does she call you?" Sam asks.

      "A few times. It started a week ago. I thought I was like, crazy or something." The girl says.

      "Well I can tell you one thing for sure, and you're going to have to go with me on this, okay? You're not crazy,"

SAM'S RENTAL CAR
[ ☼ ]

      Sam answers phone. "Yeah." He says.

      Dean is seen walking down a busy street. "Dude, stiffs have been calling people all over town." He says.