DARKNESS | Chapter 35

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

The arrival of dusk sees the sun become merely a golden blink through the trees as we carry the wounded into the shelter of the forest

Shouts of, "Wounded coming through!" and, "Move aside please," echo throughout our darkening surroundings as the Rebel entity moves around like bees towards the completion of the task at hand.

Skimming through the trees and stepping over rocks, I swiftly make my way back to the visible scene of carnage scattered across the large field at the front of the Shadow castle. My eyes are like an owl in the night as I scan the field for any Rebel- or Shadow- survivors. Marcus has orders for the dead to be piled up and burnt the moment we have a chance, however the wounded are evidently first priority.

There's movement nearby. I shift into a jog, only to discover it to be a large frog upon my arrival. My stomach sinks.

A partial responsibility falls upon me, in my opinion, in relation to the massive amount of damage endured by both sides. After all, I've always pushed Marcus to break out of hiding and attack Ash and his army. I was the reason Kat was killed and Marcus was finally pushed over the edge to go through with the idea that I'd planted in his grieved mind in the first place.

Deeming the field occupied solely by dead people, I double back and instead focus my sights upon the Shadow village. Shadow citizens mill about slowly, shoulders slumped and frowns weighing down their faces.

And it's not until I look around me that I realise why.

Ruin and destruction are the only things in sight. Houses are burnt to the ground, embers still glowing and smoke still rising. Everyone's livelihoods have been burnt down to nothing, existing as charred, black piles of charcoal. The sound of a crying baby spikes my senses and I quickly run around to the back of a half-burnt house. A baby lies in a cradle, abandoned and alone.

Unable to tear my eyes away from it's large brown ones, I pick her up and hug her to my chest, gently rocking her back and forth, back and forth. Tears prick my eyes, threatening to spill over as the baby's screams gradually lessen.

It's not until I look up once more that I register everyone's eyes fixed on me, displaying pure grief, terror and a level of subdued hope. I gently pat the baby on the back, rocking back and forth slightly with it before I clear my parched throat and direct my tired eyes to them.

"Does anyone know who this baby belongs to?"

Everyone stares at me as though I'm an elephant that has just miraculously spoken, or a martian that has just stepped out of it's rocket ship. Not a sound can be heard with the exception of the still-crackling homes and the occasional pop of the glowing embers.

Eventually, a woman steps forward. Her blue eyes appear familiar, her face buried beneath a layer of soot.

Claire.

Her voice is soft, composure broken. "Her name's Evelyn. Her father tried to save her mother in the fires. Both lost their lives."

I look down at the little bundle in my arms, eyes closed as she finds a comfort she hasn't been able to experience during the war. A tear falls, splashing onto Evelyn's cheek. Viciously, I wipe my eyes before gently brushing her cheek clean.

Claire gestures for me to pass over the baby and I do, gladly. With Evelyn out of my reach, it's one less thing that I can ruin.