DARKNESS | Chapter 30

CHAPTER THIRTY

Everything is pitch black from the moment I wake up. It's as though I'm locked in a void, unable to escape. I don't have the faintest clue as to where an exit may be, nor where I am.

"H-hello?" I question shakily, the last thing I remember being that I was dragged away by the Shadows after Ashleigh gave the order to kill Kat.

Just the thought of her forms a lump in my throat and sets a feeling of regret in my stomach. If it wasn't for my stupid plan, we never would have sought the Rebellion again and Kat would still be breathing. Even though I didn't physically do it, I feel completely and indirectly responsible for her death.

I would say that I can't even begin to imagine what Brayden and Marcus are going through, but I can. Kat isn't the only person I've known and lost.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" My voice reverberates around me, giving the impression I'm in a small room.

Dragging myself to my feet as my head and stomach lurch, I stumble into the blackness with my hands out in front of me, determination and fear overriding my pain. I have no way of knowing whether I'm on the verge of another blackout or not; for all I know, this is one of my blackouts and I'm hallucinating.

As I continue to shuffle forwards, I trip over my own foot; the action serving to propel me further into the darkness. Struggling to regain my balance, I keep my arms extended out in front of me. It almost becomes confusing which way is up, before my hands collide with a cool, smooth surface. Immediately, I begin to walk along the length of it, feeling up and down; doing anything and everything I can in an effort to escape from wherever it is that I am. Just as I'm beginning to think the stone wall is endless, I come to what I make out to be a corner. This time, as I move along the expanse, I attempt to gather some idea as to how big the room is.

On the fourth wall, I almost scream in ecstasy and happiness when I come across a door. My hands immediately feel around for a door handle, only to find one doesn't exist. I throw my body weight at it, hoping to break it down, hoping to trigger some kind of lever that opens it, anything. I run my fingers along all sides of the door; over the entire surface area of the door. I continue throwing my weight at it, and then kicking it, and then punching it.

Nothing works.

With a feeling of dread and the epitome of hopelessness, I sit on the floor and lean my back against the aluminium door, staring straight ahead of me.

I don't know where I am. I don't know how long I was unconscious for. I don't know if it's day or night, and I don't know how much longer I'll be down here. I don't know what happened to Kale, or Brayden, or even Blake for that matter. I can't escape this prison.

I'm stranded with nothing but my thoughts; thoughts of Kat's last words to me, thoughts of her head lolling around as she was lifted lifelessly off of the ground. Thoughts of the bald man chasing me, of Marcus handing me over, of Ashleigh grinning wickedly. Thoughts of my parents' last moments.

Thoughts of who I've become.

Everyone around me suffers; whether it be immediate or eventual, it always occurs in some way or another. Every thing I do with good intentions only initiates death and havoc. As of late, I've alienated more people than I have befriended. Ashleigh put a target on my head, and right now I can't help wondering if I actually do deserve that.

What am I even fighting for anymore? The freedom of the people? I can't be fighting for their happiness, cause that would surely mean I'd be fighting myself. Or perhaps a better question would be is any of this even for the people? Is it only for me- my personal ambitions? Is my desire to effect revenge upon Ashleigh for the murder of my parents great enough to arise all of this havoc? Am I that selfish? But then again, could that even be considered selfish?

I draw my knees up to my chest, resting my head on them. A weight on my heart draws my mind to Kale.

Where is he right now? Is his father punishing him? Have I forced an unremovable wedge between father and son? Is he okay?

And what of Brayden? From what I witnessed... earlier... Marcus has changed. The corrupted ways of this twisted Immortal world would appear to finally be getting to him. Is Brayden, therefore, facing even harsher punishments than Kale? Or are the Caulfield's too preoccupied mourning the loss of Kat to spare thought to anything else?

Kat faced the biggest punishment of all. It was something she never would have deserved. She was the kindest, most caring individual I have crossed paths with to date. The world needed more people like her.

And now she's gone.

If the people that remain are so cold-hearted and violent, what hope does anyone have? Why am I fighting for a lost cause? A cause, mind you, that was never my own. I was dragged into this world the day Ashleigh murdered my parents; the day he came back, twelve years later, and tried to murder me.

How is it possible that no one is willing to put an end to him and his evil? In the time I've been here, Ashleigh has committed more horrible deeds than I ever could have imagined one single individual enacting. And he's still alive. Ashleigh's still alive, and Kat isn't.

It's my fault... I never should have went back... I should have listened to Kale... I should have stopped trying to convince myself I was the Saviour.

I was so determined and convinced that I was the Saviour that it blinded me. I didn't think of any of the consequences of my actions, or who might get caught in the crossfire. I took a black-and-white approach; I was the good guy, Ash was the bad guy. The good guy usually wins, right? I'd thought I had it in the bag.

It's only now that I realise how fucked up that outlook was. How can I possibly claim to be the good guy, the Saviour, when I've caused nothing but darkness?

<><><>

The room is cold, everything still dark. My mind serves as my own poison, slowly corrupting my brain, slowly driving me mad. I've lost all sense of time; how long has it been? How long will it be?

No thoughts offer to keep me sane. Thoughts of Kale ignite the attachment to a level that is almost unbearable. Thoughts of Brayden lead to misery; thoughts of Marcus to hatred.

My stomach growling loudly is the only sound that fills the space. I haven't had food in I don't know how long. My mouth is parched and dry, lips cracked like a dried-out lake that's been exposed to the sun for too long.

I feel as though I should be dead already. If not, I feel that I'll be dead soon enough. I've been locked down here to rot; to die. I'll never escape. There is no escape from the inside. Not a sound has been heard from outside these walls. I tried screaming, yelling for help, but I heard no one. My voice merely echoed back to me, reinforcing my feeling of hopelessness.

I lay on my back in what I gather to be the middle of the stone room, staring up at what would theoretically be the ceiling.

My mind is blank; I don't allow myself to think of anything. Instead, I focus on the ironic peacefulness of such a place:

Utter silence and utter darkness.

______________________

This was just a short in-between chapter. We're rapidly approaching the end of this story now, just a heads up.

I have a really vital question to ask you as to the fate of DARKNESS:

Sequel: Yes or No?

As an author, I feel I can easily make a sequel from DARKNESS, however I it really isn't up to me. It's up to you guys, my readers. Would you read a sequel, or do you think it would be better to end the journey here? Your support has meant the world to me throughout the creation of this book, and your opinions mean just as much. Please, please, PLEASE throw me a rope here and drop a comment. Honesty is always appreciated.

Do YOU think there should be a sequel?

Comment | Vote | Share

Thanks!!

- ConfusingIllusions