DARKNESS | Chapter 16

Person 1: "I'm a ninja."
Person 2: "No you're not."
Person 1: "Did you just see that?"
Person 2: "See what?"
Person 1: "Exactly."
- Unknown.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Slipping back into Kale's bedroom, I feel my heart skip a beat like a song gone wrong when I realise there's no one here.

Kale's gone.

The sun is just beginning to make an appearance over the horizon, casting a brilliant orange glow through all of the castle windows.

Today is the day... the day I'm supposed to help capture Kale and Blake. It's time to hit Ash where it'll hurt.

I have thought this over and I do realise how wrong it is to use live human beings as bargaining chips, but it's my only shot to bring Ashleigh and his Shadow domain crumbling down.

This is a hit or a miss. If I hit, I'm the saviour. If I miss... I might as well be the destroyer.

Changing out of my jeans, I slip into a pair of black denim skinny jeans and pull on a loose black t-shirt that hangs slightly off my shoulder. Tossing my hair around, I quietly close Kale's bedroom door, hoping to slip through the castle unnoticed.

The dark hallways are beginning to fill with the warm light of the sun, making them just that little bit more bearable.

"Harper," comes a clipped voice.

I stop in my tracks, slowly turning around to face Kale. I rock back and forth on my feet casually, before offering him a smile as though I haven't been planning to practically kidnap him and his brother all night and at the same time, managed to unintentionally rendezvous with my co-conspirators and potentially kill a guy.

I'm yet to receive the news as to the extent of his injuries.

"Kale," I respond, in what I hope he takes as a greeting.

Without another word, Kale walks straight at me, not looking like he'll stop anytime soon. Instinctively, I feel myself retreating a few steps before my back hits the cold stone wall.

Kale stands directly in front of me, resting his hands on either side of my head. His blue eyes shimmer with a dangerous intensity.

"I want answers and I want them now," he says in a low, level voice.

My breath hitches; both as a result of our close proximity and the fact that he might have somehow found out about the plan.

"Well good morning to you too," I mutter, buying time.

Kale's warm breath fans my face and he shows no signs of backing away anytime soon.

"I'm not kidding, Harper," he deadpans.

"I can see that," I add, fidgeting nervously. "Can you, like, uh, give me some space? Please?"

"Am I bothering you?"

"Actually, yeah. Kinda."

"Good. I will continue to bother you until I receive my requested information."

"I don't have any 'information' for you Kale!" I hiss in a whisper, finally feeling myself snapping.

"Okay, you don't want to talk about that, then answer me this: where were you last night?"

His voice is unwavering; his eyes are piercing. This is a man not in the mood for shit.

So shit I shall give him.