DARKNESS | Chapter 10

"Don't think twice."
- Unknown.

CHAPTER TEN

From where I currently squat out-of-sight of Ash's guards, I find myself beginning to rethink what I had originally perceived as an 'ingenious plan'.

I mean, maybe it really isn't that great after all.

I'm handing myself over to Ash of my own free will, whilst harbouring hidden intentions to capture his sons.

What the heck had I been thinking?

And, honestly, let's be real here: how in the world did I expect to be able to capture not one, but two of his sons? Who, by the way, were a lot stronger than me when I met them.

I'm an idiot.

"Brayden, I don't think I can do this," I whisper.

The trail leading to Ash's castle is worn and winding, weaving through dense forest. His dark castle sits atop a small hill, just visible through the slight gaps in the trees.

Two guards dressed in full armour stand at attention on either side of the path in what they believe are hidden locations.

They're in plain view from my current position.

Brayden turns to me, resting both of his hands on my shoulders in a firm grip. Shaking me slightly, the intensity that fills his voice causes me to look up into his emerald-green eyes.

"Harper, you can't back out now. We're here. This is it. You can do this. Got it? You can."

Biting my bottom lip, I let out a shaky breath.

I begin to rapidly shake my head and back away in my crouched position, ready to make a mad dash back to the Rebellion encampment; back to safety and away from my definitely-not-sane idea.

However Brayden grabs my upper arm, crushing any hope I had of abandoning my mission.

"Harper, this is it. It's time. You can't ditch."

"But what if they find out? What if I have to marry Kale?"

"They won't kill you, no matter what happens. Ash needs you; remember that. You can use it to your advantage. And if you have to marry Kale to convince them, so be it. We plan on capturing him anyway, and will be able to perform a De-Attachment Ceremony. It'll be okay, Harper. You'll be okay."

"There's a De-Attachment Ceremony?"

"Of course."

I find myself believing his extremely persuasive words, caught up in a momentary trance.

What happened to the fear I had been feeling a mere few moments ago? What about the uncertainty? The panic?

Brayden's gaze doesn't divert from mine as he adds, "And remember your training."

I manage to crack a small smile and find myself nodding my head.

"Okay."

Brayden's gaze softens. "If you want to back out, you can. No one is forcing you to do this."

I smirk. "You've just spend the last few minutes persuading me that there's no way out, and then you spontaneously decide to give me a choice?"

Brayden mulls over his words, eyebrows furrowed, before looking back to me with a lop-sided grin.

"Precisely."

"And you say I'm confusing," I mutter in a whispered tone.

Brayden rolls his eyes before his expression morphs into one of seriousness. Picking up a small handful of dirt from the forest floor, he smears it over the front of my white t-shirt.