DARKNESS | Chapter 28

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"Kale, you were right."

My eyes dart around warily from where I'm crouched in the bushes beside my significant other. In response to my statement, Kale rotates to face me, holding my face in his hands until I'm forced to look at him.

"Harper, most of the time I'm almost convinced you're crazy."

"Is this supposed to be reassuring?"

"But you've got us this far. All of your plans, your ideas, your actions; you've succeeded in every mission you've set out to do. I never could have got this far without you. No Immortal could have. We've been raised to be rational and patient."

I smirk silently, knowing that's everything I'm not.

"We can do this, okay? And even if it turns out that we can't, it doesn't matter. We are doing this. It's too late to change our minds now."

"You can bail on me if you want to. You don't have to follow through with this, Kale. I realise you have a lot more at stake than I do."

"I wouldn't be so sure."

For a moment, I just stare into his blue eyes, finding all of the comfort and reassurance I need. He appears to do the same back, the two of us forgetting the distant sounds of chatter we had been so tuned into two seconds ago.

The corner of Kale's mouth turns up in a slight smile before he leans in and closes the distance between us with a breathtaking kiss. His palm cups my cheek, sending an extra wave of warmth through my body.

"I knew it was only a matter of time."

Kale and I break apart like our lips are suddenly on fire. Upon doing so, my eyes instantly find Brayden. I blink.

Brayden stands in all of his usual glory, a few daggers sheathed in a makeshift belt as well as a sword. A bow is slung over his back, a satchel of arrow visibly poking out just above his shoulder.

Kale is the first to move, standing up to receive Brayden in a man-hug. The action somewhat jolts me out of my trance and I, too, stand to my feet. The moment Kale pulls away I grip Brayden in a hug, releasing a pent-up sigh of relief.

"It's so good to see you," I murmur. "We weren't sure if we'd be able to find you."

"It's good to know you're still alive, Harps." Brayden and I break apart, and I note he looks around behind Kale and I. "Where's your third member? Where's Blake?"

"Blake left," Kale explains simply.

Brayden mumbles, "That would explain all of the Wanted posters I've been seeing lately. Didn't know you were capable of murder, Harper."

I roll my eyes. "We need to talk to you."

"I was under the impression that's what we're doing."

"In private," I add.

Brayden holds his hands out to gesture at the forest around us like I'm blind.

"Caulfield, we really can't risk being overheard. We're too close to your encampment," Kale reasons.

"Follow me," Brayden says thoughtfully, slightly rolling his eyes as though he believes that what we are going to tell him isn't as significant as we think it is.

Kale and I exchange a brief glance before following behind Brayden at a rapid pace, still feeling extremely wary of our surroundings.

"I knew it would only be a matter of time," Brayden speaks up conversationally, ducking under a low-hanging branch. Kale and I follow in tow, also ducking as we follow in Brayden's wake.