27 - Changing Tides

My squadron broke in through the back door, me going in first with my weapons drawn. It seemed like the way we came in was some sort of emergency exit that wasn't used often, so I doubted anyone would check it everyday. From what I saw last night, they didn't have too much security around here.

Nodding to the others, they followed me through the small room. While they piled in, we were forced to squeeze in tight, the six of us. I could feel Levi leaning in closer than he should've , but paid no real mind to it. We were too busy for me to get mad over the small things. Besides, I think he was doing it unconsciously.

I raised my finger over my lips, signaling for them to be especially quiet. They nodded in understanding.

Placing my hand on the cold, brass doorknob, I slowly turned it. It opened less than an inch, just enough for me to peek out. Looking both ways, I caught the shadow of a human wandering in this direction. I kept quiet, calming my breathing as he passed by.  Luckily for us, he didn't even look in the direction of the small building we were hiding out in.

Taking a minute for him to walk away, I did one last check before opening the door wider. I peeked my head out to get a wider range. When I knew it was safe, I motioned for the others to follow me out. We made a cramped line, me in the front and Theo in the back. It only made sense for the best fighters to be the rear and front guard.

I lead them down and alley a few feet to the right of the door we emerged from, on the other side of a path. I walked sideways as I fit into the little opening. The others fit as well, but it was close.

We popped out after a few buildings later. It took twenty minutes before we safely reached the large building in the center. Still hidden behind the back wall, Levi had taken charge of watching our backs while I motioned to the others that we'd wait here for a while. They nodded in agreement.

We waited ten, fifteen, and then twenty minutes in patient silence. I had a feeling, based on last nights events, that our target made it his business to check his 'wares'. A vile taste rose in my mouth as my small dinner from last night threatened to rise in my mouth. A scowl came to my face at the thought of that.

A warm hand fell on my shoulder. I looked over to see Theo looking down at me. However, his gaze wasn't focused on me. It was following something in the distance. I followed it to find that man heading towards the large building. I felt like a vulture as I watched him enter the room.

The last of his guards went into the room, closing the door behind him, and I heard the first shout. A smirked, knowing that everything was going according to plan. Another few guards headed to the door, and Squadron Five made it's move.

I motioned to Mercy, who nodded, smirking. She crept up behind the soldiers who were banging on the locked door. She came up behind them, like a shadow in the night. She made me so proud. Drawing her daggers, she nailed the first two in the back of the neck with the hilts of her daggers. They fell to the ground, unconscious.

The second two were already reacting. Air was ripped past my right ear as an arrow whizzed by, nailing the last soldier in the soft space below his ribs, away from his spine. The man grunted and fell to the ground. Doing a double check, Mercy waved us over and we followed.

I knocked on the metal door once, then waited ten seconds and knocked twice. It slid open, making the screeching sound it made the first time. I smiled, looking one of Baylee's trainees in the eyes. He nodded, acknowledging us and then moved to the side to let us in.

By the entrance of the room, Baylee's trainees were tying up two guards and the man, Samuel. He was being bound by two people, one holding him down while he other tied his hands. Good to know they were prepared.