4 - Squadron Five

"Can you walk?" Theo, Pooh Bear, asked.

I placed my feet on the ground, expecting to feel pins and needles but ended up with nothing. Now, slightly more motivated to stand, I pushed my body off the wheelchair. I cringed, expecting to fall to the ground, but I didn't. I was a little weak but I would manage. I took a few steps before nodding at him.

"Good, we need to get you your ID then."

"ID? What do I need one for?"

We began walking down halls, passing by other people who glared at me and others who didn't.

"So you're not as suspicious when you walk around. It'll basically tell people that you're part of project Reform."

"What, so they can hate me? I find this a bit contradictory."

"So they can keep an eye on you."

"Don't make it sound nicer than it seems, Pooh Bear."

We turned down another hall lined with desks and people behind them. Each person seemed occupied by papers they were scribbling away on.

"Could you not call me that?"

"Aren't you part of my squadron?"

"...yeah."

"If you're part of my squadron doesn't that mean I outrank you?"

"In the training department, yes. We're not in the training department, however."

"Yes we are. Office two said so."

"Officer two?"

"The nice officer who didn't beat me when I got taken here."

"Oh hi- Wait, they beat you?!"

"Officer one did. When I couldn't stand he kicked me and when I told him to hurry up he punched me."

"I'll talk to him about that."

"Don't worry about it, I'll just beat the shit out of him the next time I see him."

"You realized you're being watched, right?"

"And they can all keep watching while I beat the shit out of him."

He sighed. I heard him mumble, "I'll have to move officer Banks to another department."

We stopped at a desk with an older lady sitting behind it. Her gray wiry hair was pulled back into a not so neat bun. When Pooh Bear tapped on her desk she glared up at him.

"Can I help you?" Her voice was crackly and hoarse and her teeth were stained yellow.

"Yes, I have Shadow here to get her ID."

She looked at me, examining me up and down. With a grunt, she stood and walked away. When she came back, she held an old machine in her hands.

"Does the whole government break the law?"

"It's not breaking the law, we're-"

"Wait, let me guess, it's another experiment that the government is in the process of. They're trying to find other sources of power."

"How'd you know?"

"Seriously?" Truthfully it was just a guess.

"Look here." I looked at the old lady. A flash blinded me momentarily and I saw her messing with the other side of the machine. She went back to God knows where and came back holding a plastic ID. She handed it to me and I took a hold of it gently. This was the first picture that's ever been taken of me. My face looked a little pale but I wasn't sure it that was the cameras flash or the drug still in me.