11- Outside

"So," Theo said as I stared at a black mare, "do you know how to ride?"

I placed my hand on the sweet horses muzzle. Reminds me of a horse I used to have a long time ago.

"Do I know how to ride?" I echoed, looking into her black eyes. "Let's just say I have a lot of practice."

"Yeah, I bet she has a lot of practices escaping on horses. Especially after all those murders." Bryce, that asshole, was was standing besides a brown and white horse, with his arms crossed. He glared at me giving me that, "I just went there" look.

"How long did it take you to think of that," I replied, not even giving him a glance.

A hand landed on my shoulder, Levi's by the feel of it.

"Of course my sweet can ride," he said. "She's a jack of all trades."

I rolled my eyes at him, not arguing the statement cause, come on, it's the truth.

Mercy scoffed at us from atop a pure white mare. "Ugh, get a room you two."

Levi laughed at her, replying with, "Don't be jealous, love."

"As if!"

Mila was standing alone without a horse. I gave her a questioning look and she just shrugged.

"We're only taking three horses," Theo said, looking at me. "It'll be easier to hide them if there aren't as many."

Great, I internally sighed to myself, doubling up on a horse. As long as I wasn't paired with Sir flirts-a-lot, I'd be fine.

"I'll be with Bryce," Theo said, "Mila with Mercy," and that left me with, "Levi with Shadow."

Joy.

Levi looked at me, flashing me a big smile.

"Where do you want me, sweet?"

I mounted the nameless mare, tightly gripping the reins. Sighing to myself, I moved forward. Without a word, he mounted behind me, gently holding onto my waist.

"If you dare touch me more than's necessary," I warned, "I'll make sure you never touch anything again."

"Shadow," Theo called from behind Bryce, "stop that."

"Shut it, Pooh Bear!"

I got myself some laughed from the others. Proud, I sat up a little straighter. Theo glared at me, but quickly looked away, knowing he could do nothingness about it.

"South, right?" Mercy asked.

Theo replied, "All the way through Evergreen."

Though it was under his breath, with my thief's ears I could hear Bryce say, "Disgusting."

I glared at him. However, my look was caught by Theo, and I immediately knew he was studying me, calculating my reactions to determine my past. God damned smart people.

---

Evergreen, as usual, was a mess. Unlike Orchid, the government hadn't made them fend for themselves, so they were very reliant on the government. In return, the government had, ever so kindly, supplied them with plywood and strong aluminum. How kind of them.

When we reached the mile tall wall that could be seen all the way from Pacific Rose, we were stopped by gate security.

"Identification," the girl said. Yeah, girl power in the government.

Theo held out a badge and the information on Rosey Carnez. With a final glance at me, hand firmly resting on the blade that was strapped to the left of her waist, she motioned for the doors to be opened.

With ear splinting screeches, the steel door, built before the loss of electricity, was opened from inside the wall where people turned a cog, making the entire contraption move.

I let Theo lead us out the door, completely forgetting about Levi's loose grip on my waist.

Contrary to rumors that ravaged Orchid, the outside was a barren waste land for what looked like miles. I wouldn't be surprised if I found one of those early twentieth century cow skulls sitting around. Soft sand crunched under my horses hooves as she took the first step into the wasteland.

The doors screeched shut behind us, begging for some oil or grease or whatever it is they used.

I glanced at Mercy and Mila, and then to Theo and that asshole.

"This is it?" I asked.

"Were you expecting more?" Mercy's sarcastic reply was.

"I don't know," Levi whispered into my ear, "I think it's beautiful." For the last words, his hands traveled further up my waist, brushing the sides of my stomach. "But not quite as beautiful as you."

I think I heard the last of my patience literally snap. I clenched my teeth, twisted my body, and pushed. With a thud, Levi's body hit the ground, forming a little devil of sand around him.

"You'd think you'd be used to this kind of thing," Bryce commented, giving em a sideways glance, "given the way you like to kill men."

"You know what, you taken him then! We're switching. Mila, get your little ass over 'ere!"

I looked o her to see her tightly gripping Mercy's back. Shit, I'd accidentally scared her when my temper flared.

"Looks like it's you and me again, love."

"No," Theo sighed, dismounting Bryce's horse, "I'll switch. We won't get anywhere like this."

Thanking whatever gods were out there, I have Theo my hand to help him mount. With a surprised look, he took it. I pulled him and his six pound pound sword up.

I could tell he was careful while adjusting, only touching me when necessary. When he finally settled in, his hands were barely ghosting my waist.

Sighing to myself at what I was about to do, I clasped his hands, forcing him to hold on harder.

"You're gonna fall if you hold on like that," I said, bringing my hands back to the reins.

I looked up, by position of the moon I guessed it was about seven at night, give or take ten or so minutes. If Theo was right about the time, while giving up our horses, we'd probably end up at the rebel camp at eight.

Sighing, I gently nudged my horse in the side, a bit surprised about her immediate reply. We started out at a slaw trot, but them ended with a speedy gallop.

"Not so fast," Theo said, "we'll have to stop sooner if you move this fast."

"That's the point," I replied, smiling to myself, "I want to give you all town to adjust to normal weapons before we try infiltrating a rebel camp."

"Big words for a thief from the slums." I could basically hear his smile through his words.

"Shut up."