13 - Blood

"Shadow!" The sandy haired man called. He's called my name more than anyone here.

When he approached me, his hand resting firmly on my shoulder. "How'd it go? Are you hurt? Did anyone see you?"

"I'm fine," I replied, forcing my voice into a more casual tone. I was still shaken up by what I'd seen there. That symbol. "I've got most of the place memorized, we'll talk about plans in a few minutes."

Theo looked at me, concern biting at the edges of his eyes. He wanted to ask me something, to say something, but didn't. Nodding, I followed him back to our makeshift camp.

Mila and Bryce were leaning on each other, fast asleep. Levi was sitting, cross-legged, having a talk with Mercy. When they saw me, they finished whatever they were talking about and came over to me.

"Everything okay, Love?"

"Yep, everything went okay. In an hour or so, we'll talk about plans and then we'll do a bit more training."

"What?" Mercy whined. "We've already trained for hours."

"Stop that," I warned. "We're training because I don't want you all to get yourselves kill. Now, does someone have some extra food? I'm starving."

"Eat your own food," Bryce commented.

"Well good morning, sleeping beauty. I'm glad to see that your and Prince charming there have finished your hundred year terms."

"What?"

"Slow as always, I see. Wake Mila up, we need to start training."

"What?" Mercy whined from where she was listening in on our conversation. "You said in a few hours."

"Yeah, well Sleeping Beauty and Prince Charming over there changed my mind. Now, who wants to go first?"

"Shadow," Theo said, stepping closer to me, "I think you should take a break. You look exhausted."

"I'm fine," I replied, quickly changing my apparel. I stood straighter, looking him dead in the eyes. "Now, come on, Pooh Bear. Let's go first."

He looked at me, utterly unconvinced. "Fine, but let's, make a deal. If I can knock you on the ground or push you out of the ring, you need to go take a nap or something."

I laughed at him, beginning my early taunting. "All right, Fuzzy. I'll go long with your game."

Nodding, he stood at one side of the ring. His demeanor had gone from its new calm and relaxed to a more serious tone. My senses were a bit on edge, but I didn't let any of them see that. I didn't like this new feeling that I was getting from him.

At one point in my life, I'd met an apprentice to a rather well known assassin. I don't remember his name, nor the assassins, but I'm pretty sure they're both dead by now. Anyways, I'd agreed to have a match with this apprentice. It started off normal, like anyone knew to the business, I went easy on him. I let him get close and scared him away. It was all fine and well, until he ignored the bloodlust that I'd let him feel. He attacked like an animal and nearly slit my throat. At that moment, out of fear, I'd fought for real. I landed a dagger in the kids left side. He needed five or so stitches.

Anyways, I was getting a feeling like that from Theo right now. He wanted to attack me, he wanted me dead. Even if my head was telling me he could never touch me that he'd never have the guts to cut me, my instinct was telling me to run. Sighing to myself, I pulled the daggers from my waist and gently tossed them to Mercy, who I knew could catch them.

I stood at the edge of the ring, knees bent, eyes never leaving Theo. He did the same, hand gently resting on the hilt of the claymore. We circled, watching each other like hawks. No, vultures.

When I saw that he wasn't going to take the first step, I did. My left foot landing first as I charged. For the first time since we'd been training together, I attack. My right hand balled into a fist, I swung. Theo gasped, unprepared for the attack, and jumped back. Taking a step back, I allowed him to comprehend what had just happened.

He looked at me with minimal shock, and I couldn't help but letting my eyes drift to the others. They looked at me with the same wide eyes. Mercy, however, looked at me like normal. I smiled, not quite sure what she meant by this. Did she trust me, or was she ready to attack if I really did hurt anyone. My eyes drifted to her hands which were casually resting at her sides. Right by the daggers.

"Keep watching!" Theo called as he attacked. When my attention was once again completely on him, his sword was mid swing, aimed at my left arm.

There was no time. I was about to die. My body reacted naturally, first checking for daggers at my waist, and then feeling the ones at my wrist. 

I pulled the dagger from it's hiding spot on my right wrist.

I swung.  

Metal hit metal as I cruelly forced him back, remembering that these were my kids. It was my duty to protect them, though I didn't remember that soon enough. My dagger met his sword with all my power. My body crouched down as I forced him back, unbalancing his force and forcing him to trip.

One of his feet swung wildly. I took this to my advantage and took hold of it. He quickly tripped, his head landing outside of the circle. My foot rested gently on the sword as I checked my dagger. It wasn't broken, but there was a small crack in it. He did some real damage.

Sighing, I pulled my dagger back into my sleeve where it safely waited for the oncoming fights.

Theo stood and yelled, "Again."

I looked at him, proud but shocked.

"Nah," I replied casually. "I'm not in the mood."

He looked at me, disappointed but set in his ways.

"Don't give me that look. I'm tired, alright. Am I not even allowed to take a nap?"

A smile lit up his face as I walked away, pulling a blanket from my small bag.

"The rest of you are in charge of practice and training. Wake me up in half an hour so we can make plans."

I laid down, forcing myself to face away from the training circle. My eyes closed as I was quickly lulled to sleep by the welcoming sound of clashing swords.

My mind changed the blades to gunshots.

The brown desert turned to a red and blue.