2 - Nothing

The next morning, as I woke to the stale air of a regular morning in Orchid, I decided to go out again tonight. I got so lucky last night that, maybe, I'd end up just as rich. I'd have to wait for night though, when rich men got drunk and when I could cling to my darkness. I'd need a new dress too. Even a drunk man would be wary of a women with a bloody dress, especially in a place like Pacific Rose.

With a sigh, I pushed myself up. I tied on my converse, raided my safe, and made my way out for the day. My trusty bag hung loosely at my side, filled with pages. My hand hung protectively over it.

Durning the day, Orchid was much more peaceful. Crimes were much easier to commit in the dark. Before I could commit any crimes, I'd have to go get a new dress from a better district. Maybe Rosemary, they were doing pretty good. When my mind was set on Rosemary, I began my journey north.

I got glares from a lot of the wealthier folk, but I easily ignored them. Rosemary was a decently nice district. They had wooden and brick houses, better than my aluminum can. Their streets were made of sturdy rock, unlike the slippery mud of Orchid.

The rocks on the streets weren't great footholds, but I managed with cat like grace. I didn't give the rocks a chance to trip me as I gingerly stepped over them.

A tap on my shoulder made me turn around. My eyes caught on the strange face of a man with light brown hair. He looked at me with smiling brown eyes and what looked like a permeant smile.

"Can I help you, sir?" I let my voice slip into a sweet yet slightly flirty tone, as if it was unintentional. Now add in a little head tilt, look up with big puppy eyes and that's the perfect sweet girl disguise.

It took them a second to regain their composure.

"Right, miss would you mind telling us what you're doing here?" The officer was suspicious of me? It was strange for this time of day. "You're obviously not from Rosemary so why don't you state your business."

My mind quickly came up with a lie and then I said, "Well, you see I'm here to buy a new dress. I'm from Evergreen but I have a job in Maple so I finally saved up enough money to buy one for my little sister. See, she's been sick for a while and the doctors can't find out what's wrong so I figured if I got a real pretty dress for her she'd cheer up a little." I let a fake tear slide down my cheek. If we still had T.V. I could've been an amazing actor. I mean, one of those drop dead gorgeous actors that you always felt so connected to.

"I see," the man my age said. "Alright, you can go. Just be careful, there's been an increase of crimes in the area."

"Really? Hm, I don't know what to do then. If I don't get home no one'll be able to pay for food." Might as well make use of the man. "I'm sorry, I know you're busy, but would you mind escorting me to the nearest tailor? I'd understand if you couldn't, but..."

"I don't see why not," the man said. He waved the officer off with his hand. Was he with the police? Probably just a recruit but still, I had to be careful.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I don't know what I could've done without you..."

"Collin. And what, may I ask is your name?"

"Ren." The fake name easily slid off my tongue. I'd never used the name before, but I liked the way it felt when I said it. Smooth yet unique.

"Ren, what a beautiful name." He was making this easy for me. I just needed to get the dress and, if I got lucky, he'd ask to take me out later tonight, and I'd get the chance to pickpocket and kill him.

I led him down a few streets until we reached a tailor I'd never been too. If I went to one I was a regular at, one of the employees might try to make conversation with me and blow my cover.