7 - Missions

The time until my blueprints were finished passed in peace. I helped Mila with her staff skills for the most part.

"Theo!" I yelled. He turned from his practice partner to me. Levi's bladeless staff landed with a thump. He fell and gave me an annoyed look.

"Really?"

"Yep! Now come on, I need to go to Rosemary to get something. You need to come with me, don't you?"

"Hell no."

"What? Why not?"

"Remember the stunt you pulled last time? I got into a bit of trouble after reporting that and if I loose you one more time I'm gonna be bumped down to a trainee."

"You're already a trainee."

"I mean I won't be the head of project reform anymore. Just a simple trainee."

"Oh, come on! You can put a leash on me for all I care."

That earned me a sly smile.

Great.

---

We were walking out of the Training Center. Me with a metal collar sitting around my neck and Theo holding the chain leash.

"You know, I didn't mean that literally."

He just smiled at me, making me want to wrap the leash around his neck. Only, a bit tighter than my collar.

We got strange looks the whole way there. When we reached the little forgery, even the old man gave me a strange look. I mean, I don't blame him or anything but I was really getting tired of this.

"A forgery?" Theo asked. "What exactly did you get made?"

"Just a little something special for Mila." I turned my attention to the old man. "Is it ready?"

"I told you it would be, didn't I? Of course it's ready. Who do you think I am?" He went into the back of his store mumbling something about an ungrateful brat. When he came back, he handed me my weapon, wrapped in cloth.

"Thanks, mister."

Theo quickly took the weapons out of my hand and started walking out the door.

"What?"

"You don't have permission to carry weapons. Not yet."

"What quest do I need to complete for that?"

"What?"

"Nothing, just a joke from the old days. When do I get to carry real weapons?"

"Only on missions."

"When do I get those?"

"When I decide your ready."

"When's that?"

"When you stop asking questions and start answering them."

"Any other way, cause I don't think that'll happen soon?"

He gave me a sideways glance and I just smiled innocently.

"When I decide your trust worthy."

"Well, looks like that won't happen anytime soon then."

By now, we'd reached the Training Center and, to my relief, Theo took the collar off my neck.

"So?" He asked. "What's in here?" He held up the cloth for both of us to see. Luckily, our meeting room was empty so he wouldn't ruin the surprise for Mila.

Smiling happily, I laid it down on the table in the center of the room. Unwrapping the cloth, I reveled a steel bow, only two and a half feet long. It was light in weight and had blades at both ends, for close combat.

I looked up at him to see his eyes wide and a smile growing on his face.

"This is why you took away her bow."

I smiled, nodding.

"You know, she's pretty pissed at you. You could've just told her."

"Nah, you guys need to get used to not getting what you want anyways."

"You know, we're not as spoiled as you think we are."

"You're right. Cause living in marble houses with unlimited access to food and water isn't spoiled at all. Anyways, do you need to give the bow to Mila or can I?"

"I guess I could let you carry it, as long as I get to come with you."

I gave him a grateful smile and rewrapped the bow. I held it gently, as though it was a bag of pages. I let Theo escort me to the training room where I told the others to meet me. I told them I'd be the at around threeish. It was about four thirty so I wasn't that off.

I pushed opened the door to be welcomed by the familiar sound of clashing metal, even if it was a bit dull for my taste. I saw the others leaning against the wall, talking. I called them over and watched them huddle like hungry dogs around me.

"First of all, Mila I have a gift for you."

I set the bow down gently on her lap. She unfolded it with big eyes. When she finally saw the bow, she nearly jumped with excitement. She ran her hands over the cool metal, slowing to examine the blade.

"It's all yours."

"When we go on missions, only," Theo cut it.

"God, you're a real grinch aren't you Pooh Bear. Let her enjoy the gift would you, she just got it."

He rolled his eyes at me.

"How about we put that new weapon to good use in a match?"

"Me versus you?" She asked, eyes wide as a deer's in pure terror.

"Nope, me versus all of you." I grinned happily while they watched me in shock.

"It's a challenge I made to help train you. Now, here are the rules. No head shots, for starters. I have a weakness, which I'll admit. Your job is to find out my weakness by sparring me. Whoever says it first wins. I'm not even allowed to attack you."

Again, I smiled while they looked at me like I was insane. Maybe I was, at least I was fun.

"What're you waiting for, go get your weapons. I'll meet you all in the ring."