34 - Breaking and Entering

I slid through the cold air vent, my small body easily fitting in the oversized compartment. The small vent was wide, but the near inability to move my arms made my claustrophobic.

'How close are you?' Clover's voice whispered in my ear.

Touching the little button on the small bud, I answered. "Not sure. I'll just check the meter markers on the side of the vent."

'You know what, I was just trying to make conversation.'

"Glad to know you're friendly and all, but this isn't really the best time to-ah."

'What? What happened? Are you okay?'

"Fine and dandy. The air vent just smoothed out. I'm not on a slope anymore."

'Okay, okay. So, that means you're close, right?'

"I don't know. I'm not the one looking at the map."

'Right, good point.'

"Look, do you need to hand the mic over to someone else. Like...anyone? Seriously. I'd take Mila over you."

'No, I'm good. You have about five feet after the vent smooths out before you reach the grate.'

I started crawling on all fours. The vent was nearly high enough for me to walk, but not comfortably. I held one hand in front of me when I reached the five foot mark. I was met with a grate.

"Alright, I'm there."

'Good. Next step, let's see. Hmm... Okay, here we go. After you get past the grate, you should be in the office. Remember, we're not sure if he's there or not so be careful.'

"There aren't any candle lit so I think I'm good. I'm going in."

My hands pushed against the grates. Not surprisingly, it swung open with ease. Made sense, I mean it was  used for emergencies. It didn't squeak or creak as I opened it. Using one hand to keep it steady, I grabbed the small flashlight off my utility belt. With a flick of my thumb, it flashed over the room, revealing a wooden desk covered in papers. Two green chairs sat opposite of the desk. 

I dropped down from the vent, which stuck to the wall opposite of the door.

"I'm in."

'Alright, good. Now the files. Find out where Rosy Carnez is being held. He should keep information like this in in a filing cabinet.'

"Umm... Nope, no filing cabinets. He does have a desk though. I'm gonna go through that."

The was no reply, so I assumed it was okay.

I quickly moved around the desk, and faced the four locked drawers that were behind it.

"They're all locked."

'Can you pick them?'

I bent down to examine the golden locks. They were rather simple old fashioned pin tumbler locks. Similar to the locks used on houses. They looked secure, but not so much.

"Easy peasy," I replied. "Might take a little time though. There're four of them."

'Well, don't take too long. You don't have all night.'

Smiling, I pulled my lock pick set out of the utility belt. "Obviously, you don't know who you're talking about." I grabbed my tension wrench and pick, or rake as I like to call it. I fit the tension wrench into the bottom of the lock and the rake. Dragging the rake back and fourth, I repeatedly applied pressure to the tension wrench. It opened in a matter of seconds.

"First drawer, open."

My fingers skimmed over alphabetical files, I found the 'r's, but they were organized by last name. Clicking my tongue in dismay, I quietly slid it closed. On to the nest cabinet. I slid my tension wrench in the bottom, and then the rake. I gently applied pressure to the wrench while I raked the pick over the pins. The simple lock quickly gave way to my spectacular lock-picking technique.

Shadow Thiefजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें