Chapter Thirty-Seven - Betrayal

"Yes, it's me, you pathetic piece of crap", Leo's father smirks.

Suddenly anger courses through me and before I can stop myself , I speak, "You're the pathetic piece of crap"

"What did you just say to me?", he growls, taking firm steps towards me. I audibly gulp in fear but that doesn't stop my anger.

"You're the pathetic-", I start but get cut off when his hand slaps me across the face.  Tears start to pool in my eyes from the stinging pain.  I hear gasps around me but all I do is look down at my lap as tears drop down my face.

"Don't touch her!", Leo shouts.

"Watch your mouth, little boy!", he glares at an angry Leo.

"Roger, please don't hurt them", Sandra pleads quietly.  I'm assuming that Roger is Leo's father.

"Why are you doing all of this?", I ask softly, my voice cracking.  I look up, my wet face greeting Roger's stony one. 

"Now that's a long story but don't worry, you're only the bait", Roger laughs shortly.

"Bait?", I scrunch up my face in confusion.  Bait? Then who is the catch?  That's when it hits me.  He uses people who you love to get what he wants.  It couldn't be...

"The catch is my family?", my face pales.

"You are a smart one", he smirks.  So this has nothing to do with me?  He was using all of us as pawns. 

"What does my family have to do with anything?"

"You see, that's a long story as I said before", Roger gets a chair and sits.  I'm guessing this is going to be really long.

"Your parents and I use to go to college together and we were really close.  To me your mother was everything to me. The moon, the stars, the sun.  I confessed how I felt and she dumped me for your father", his eyes glazes over with the painful memory," I was torn apart and I became bitter.  I decided to get revenge and make them feel what I felt but when you didn't bleed out and die that plan failed.  I then took up science and used it to make a love potion that will make your mother fall in love with me"

"Aren't you obsessed?", I ask softly, goosebumps gracing my skin.  I know my mother looks like a model and all but this is just taking it too far.

"Call it what you want, once I have your mother in my arms nothing else matters", he smiles, genuinely.  I'm taken aback by the emotion in his eyes, love, desperation and many others.  I look over at Sandra and see her on the verge of tears.  My heart breaks for her, knowing that she loves this monster and even tolerated his cold personality.

"What about Sandra?", I look back at Roger. 

"Sandra?", he looks at her, his eyes not holding the same emotions for my mother," I never loved her, she knows that"

I hear a silent sob and look at Sandra to see her head hanging low and her shoulders shaking slightly.  I wish I could just go over to her and take her into my arms but the rope restrains me from doing anything.

"So you're planning to make my mother drink the potion?", I ask.

"Yes, Mathew bring the potion!"

A man with spiky hair and glasses enters the room, carefully carrying a glass bottle with a bright pink liquid.  He walks to Roger, who sat in the center of the circle and handed it to him.  He then turns to leave but stops when his eyes land on Stephanie.